Kim
Kim
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Racine, WI

Bunkbed Safety Plus Organization

$20

I worried that my granddaughter might roll out of the top bunk when she stays overnight with us. So we made this book bin out of a plastic window box planter, and fastened it to the rails with pretty ribbon. We use it to hold her books and stuffed animals. But the best thing is that it provides a barrier that she would not be able to roll over while sleeping and fall out of the top bunk.
bunkbed safety plus organization
First I bought a nice new, clean window box planter, and drilled holes large enough to run ribbon through, at the right height for the guard rail.
bunkbed safety plus organization
Then I tied it onto the guard rail on the top bunk, and filled it with her books and stuffed animals.
bunkbed safety plus organization
This is what it looks like from her vantage point. It narrows the sleeping area by about 5", but this is only for a small child anyway.
bunkbed safety plus organization
All set! The window box planter is 48" long, so it fills up a good percentage of the length of the bed.
bunkbed safety plus organization
When not in use as a guard rail-barrier-top-bunk-thingy, the window boxes fit nicely on a window sill, for all kinds of organizational needs. I used these a lot in my classroom when I was teaching.
bunkbed safety plus organization
This has nothing to do with the book bin, but is another safety precaution. I got nervous thinking about my grandson on the bottom bunk, possibly pushing up on the upper bed from underneath, maybe with his legs. The top bunk could actually get off kilter and fall on him! So I took some webbing (bought at the fabric store), and tied the top and bottom sections of the bed together in all four corners. It's not very cute, but it doesn't show from the front.
bunkbed safety plus organization
One last little bunk bed trick: Sometimes we are using the beds separately as two twin beds. I realized long ago that the guard rails work for a toddler, even when the bed is not configured like a bunk bed. I never thought of this when my kids were little, but now as a Grandma, nobody's going to fall out on my watch!

• Whered you find the window box? I've never seen plastic ones. I've got a little guy on the top bunk too, I'd like to try this

• ok, ive got a big lots not too far from here. ill check there next. ive been to the 99 cent store, dollar tree, walmart, lowes, no luck finding plastic ones yet. i did find the wire ones that you use the coconut liners in, if cant find any at big lots ill just use those and hang them from the outside of the bed instead. Thank you for all your help everybody!

• Mary

I love your idea. Thank you'

• Candice Gollam

Fantastic idea. I’m old now but I remember my sister falling off the top bunk in her sleep when we were kids. I bed she would appreciate this. I will have to share it with her. Btw- once when she his the floor she sat up screaming, “ the British are coming, the British are coming!” We all got a good laugh after we were sure that she was ok. Lol