Bunkbed Safety Plus Organization

$20

I worried that my granddaughter might roll out of the top bunk when she stays overnight with us. So we made this book bin out of a plastic window box planter, and fastened it to the rails with pretty ribbon. We use it to hold her books and stuffed animals. But the best thing is that it provides a barrier that she would not be able to roll over while sleeping and fall out of the top bunk.
First I bought a nice new, clean window box planter, and drilled holes large enough to run ribbon through, at the right height for the guard rail.
Then I tied it onto the guard rail on the top bunk, and filled it with her books and stuffed animals.
This is what it looks like from her vantage point. It narrows the sleeping area by about 5", but this is only for a small child anyway.
All set! The window box planter is 48" long, so it fills up a good percentage of the length of the bed.
When not in use as a guard rail-barrier-top-bunk-thingy, the window boxes fit nicely on a window sill, for all kinds of organizational needs. I used these a lot in my classroom when I was teaching.
This has nothing to do with the book bin, but is another safety precaution. I got nervous thinking about my grandson on the bottom bunk, possibly pushing up on the upper bed from underneath, maybe with his legs. The top bunk could actually get off kilter and fall on him! So I took some webbing (bought at the fabric store), and tied the top and bottom sections of the bed together in all four corners. It's not very cute, but it doesn't show from the front.
One last little bunk bed trick: Sometimes we are using the beds separately as two twin beds. I realized long ago that the guard rails work for a toddler, even when the bed is not configured like a bunk bed. I never thought of this when my kids were little, but now as a Grandma, nobody's going to fall out on my watch!

31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests

• Whered you find the window box? I've never seen plastic ones. I've got a little guy on the top bunk too, I'd like to try this

• Jeannine Stacy

I got mine at Big Lots. I've seen them in various other stores such as Lowes

• Johanne Palange

Making the bed on the top level of a bunk bed is a hassle. Wouldn't this affixed box just make it harder to accomplish? I would fix it to the foot of the bed in such a way that it is suspended to give access for bed making.

• Linda

It may be a bit harder, but that is secondary to the safety issue Grandma is addressing. I think it is a clever idea.

• Doreen Kennedy

Who knew that such a simple idea would be so useful and cute.

• Linda

So, everyone gets a good night's sleep. The kids have their treasures near them as they drift off and Grandma sleeps contentedly knowing the kids will not fall out of the beds. A "win win" all around. Clever yet simple idea, Grandma. Kudos to you and thanks for sharing.s