Gary Hardman
Gary Hardman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springboro, OH

Chippy Garden Art

$25

So this idea came as I was cruising garage sales. I picked up a faucet from a 100 year old claw foot bath tub. With the dollar tin from the Dollar Tree and a chippy cabinet door I could picture the next masterpiece.
chippy garden art
The first step was to distress the shiny new tin. I wanted it to look as old as the faucet. I went on line and tried equal parts ( 1 tbsp) of hydrogen peroxide, table salt and white vinegar. It worked a little so I decide to pull out the Brillo pads and use brute force. Sucess! If you want the words to stand out again, use a permanent black marker. It is also better to treat with this mixture in the hot sun.
chippy garden art
The next step, I sealed the door with Tung Oil. You want to preserve that distressed look on the cabinet door. I then mounted the faucet onto the door by tracing around the back two pipes and cutting holes with a 1 1/2 inch drill bit.
chippy garden art
Here is a view from the back with the faucet showing. I also added screws and picture wire to be able to hang it. The last step was to drill 2 screws to attach the tin container on the board.
chippy garden art
Here is the finished piece at home on my patio. You could make it into a fountain or plant flowers in it. If planting flowers, drill holes in the bottom of the tin for drainage.
chippy garden art
This was an easy fun project that takes less than a day but truly stands out in your garden. The vintage faucet was one of the stars of this piece. However you could use faucets from any hardware store.
Happy Gardening!!!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 13, 2018 11:11 PM - More info