Nancy Ludwig
Nancy Ludwig
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Ocean Shores, WA

Old Cedar Planter Needed Replacing. What to Do.....

$80

I live on a public golf course, so I like to keep my garbage can and heat pump hidden from that side. After removing my rotted out planter I had to replace it with something. I chose to make a new one made of cinder blocks. Someone had also given me a drain collar so I decided to use that as the main planter.
old cedar planter needed replacing what to do
Good bye 20 Year Old planter.
I purchased 12 cinder blocks. Placing them in this pattern, on ground I had leveled out.
Alternating the seams until I had three layers. This gave me the height I wanted . Then I placed the drain collar in the middle, filled it with potting soil and added a new Azelea.
I then filled the outer holes of the cinder blocks with dirt, so I could plant more plants around the collar.
This angle shows the heat pump and garbage can.
Now they can’t be seen from the golf course side.
I didn’t like the plain cinder blocks, so after a week, I painted them with left over house paint, trim color. A mini roller works best.
All done and it only took about 3 hours total. I put the cute sign up a friend of mine had made for me Too.

I am also pleased to say, it’s just the right level for the deer. They ate one of the type of plants I put in The corners of the blocks.

Oh well, I had wanted some vine type of plants, but couldn’t find any at the time I was planting. So now I can replace them when I find some creeping Jenny or Jacobs Ladder.

• Susie

Why does your list of materials show a Rose of Sharon plant while your plant in the photos is a rhodpdendron?

• Ila Brown

I'm sure you can plant whatever you want for your area!

• Bonnie Hinkle Zick

What is a drain collar, please, and where do you get them? I googled it but nothing came up that looks like your project. What else could you use? Thank you in advance. Bonnie

• Nancy Ludwig

This was a free item from a friend and she gave me the name of it. In searching myself, I was not able to find one as large in the drain or chimney sections. However I did just see one on a renovation show and it came from within the chimney of an older home. The newer ones tend to be smaller. Check the salvage shops.

• Awa32300563

How can i get her your friend to make

me a sign @ how muvh if will do

• Nancy Ludwig

My friend had the sign made by someone else. I have contacted the make to no avail. Should she contact me I will let you know. But for now it is a lost cause.

• Awa32300563

Ok thanks for trying

• Kristen

I love this idea. And the paint made it even better. You could repaint every time you get bored with it.