GET A FUNKY FUN FAUX SILVER LEAF FINISH WITH JUST PAINT!

I've been doing a lot of work making inexpensive upgrades at my parents' home. An easy update I did was to paint all the ugly brown doors white which really brightened up the home. But for the guest room, i.e, my room when I visit, I wanted to do something really fun. It took me a while to figure out exactly what I was going to do, but then the idea came to me. Since I already gave the furniture in the room a shabby chic refurb using Looking Glass Paint (my tutorial is also here on Hometalk), I wanted to do something that would complement that look. But I also didn't want to spend a lot of money. My solution: I experimented with creating a silver leaf finish using paint. There was a little bit of troubleshooting along the way to get the finish I wanted, but once I figured it out it was SUPER EASY and I LOVE the result!
I'm considering a teal color for the walls. This look isn't for everyone, but if you like fun, funky and eclectic then it may be up your alley.
I've posted the highlights of the project here, but for all the details (paint, problem solving solutions, etc.) follow the link at the end of the post.
finish
Here is the before picture and that's my shabby chic dresser on the left.
I started by priming the doors.
Then to create that patchwork silver leaf look, I painted alternating horizontal and vertical brush strokes.
It looked amazing, until it started to dry. You can see in the next picture the areas where it's drying how the definition of the brush strokes was fading away.
I was pretty bummed at this point. I literally sat watching the paint dry. My beautiful finish was fading away before my eyes. What I needed was something to create a little contrast between the vertical and horizontal strokes. I had no idea what I was going to do. Then digging through my parents' garage, I found the solution. It was another experiment, but it turned out perfect!
Once the paint dried, I added some gorgeous knobs.
But my biggest lesson learned from this project came from my little fur monster, Lily.
My lesson: Keep the baby out of the room when painting.
When I caught sight of this action out of the corner of my eye, I let out a little yelp. My poor girl froze in her tracks. I scared the poor thing. I have to admit, though, that those tiny little puppy prints are pretty adorable.
Once again, here's the before picture and then what it looks like now...
Oh and notice the new trim? Here's a secret: it's not trim. I simply painted that on too! (more about that on the blog)
Anyway, thanks for stopping by! For the full faux silver leaf tutorial including all the info on paint, painting technique, special brush used, tips and more lessons learned, follow the link below...

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
DIY Fun Ideas

• Joy Walsh
    Joy Walsh

i think a part of this article is missing, what did you find in your parents garage to complete the look?

• Audrey
    Audrey

What did you find in the garage to complete this look?

• Audrey
    Audrey

• Charlene Morgan
    Charlene Morgan

What a fabulous look! Perfect color combo! Would look great with some 60's furniture!

• Lisas Rexstar
    Lisas Rexstar

You idea of painting the walls teal will be just about perfect! Don't forget to add a bit of bling somewhere.