What is the best paint to use

+6
On the exterior of my metal door?

• Bijous Bijous on May 28, 2018
    The best paints to use on a metal door that holds up very well is oil or alkaline. While clean up needs to be done with turpentine, the look can't be beat. I take doors down and work on them flat. So much easier. The doors are not that heavy and I'm short and can move the doors with the help of a dolly without too much trouble.
  • Jaelin Jaelin on May 28, 2018
    So there are 2 types that would work really well. One is Glidden Gripper Primer. The second one is Glidden Premium Exterior Paint. If this doesn't help, I'm sorry I wasn't helpful.
  • Kathy O'Malley Kathy O'Malley on May 28, 2018
    I use rustoleum paint .

• You should use door paint. It's made specifically to stick to the metal. Use a foam roller, you will have a professional finish with no brush marks
  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on May 28, 2018
    I'm five feet tall and have painted my west-facing front door when the paint gets oxidized by the Texas sun. I sand lightly first and wipe it clean. Use a primer and then paint in the color and gloss I like (satin). Exterior paint is all I've ever used. Glidden and Behr have both performed well. I leave the door on its hinges and use a GOOD brush. It always comes out great.
  • Julie Julie on May 28, 2018
    Thank you guys so much. I am on my way to Home Depot right now. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • William William on May 28, 2018
    Best paint is DTM (direct to metal) paint.
    • Julie Julie on May 28, 2018
      It already has paint on it. I am just going to clean it up some. Would I still use DTM paint?

• William William on May 28, 2018
    Yes. Painters in the nursing home I worked at would use DTM paint on the metal doors. Lasted about ten year before they needed to repaint. They just lightly sanded the old paint to remove any gloss.