Leslie Long
Leslie Long
  • Bowling Green, FL

Herb Plant Tower

Hi everyone. I work part time for Home Depot and am in charge of their workshops in my store. This was our May monthly "Do It Herself" project that is held on every THIRD THURSDAY evening from 6:30-8:00 pm in EVERY HOME DEPOT NATIONWIDE and is free. I like how this turned out!
There are many different ways to do this and you will find complete instructions on their website. I added a larger pot at the bottom because I wanted a taller tower and one of my ladies last night was going to use the 2' piece of rebar and only the three pots at the top so she could place it on a table.
I decided to paint the pots with a can of spray paint (metal forged brown metallic $9) instead of leaving them natural.
It takes a half sack of quick drying cement if you want to place your tower on a patio. If you decide to put it on the ground, you can just pound the rebar through the hole in the bottom of the pot about a foot in the ground for added stability.
It's very easy once you set the rebar in the concrete. The pot is only filled with concrete just over half way so you can add dirt and plant something over it.
I apologize for not having complete instructions here and step-by-step photos. It can be disruptive while teaching to stop and take a photo while answering students questions. There are many ways to make a pot tower both on pinterest and hometalk and Home Depot's website. You can add flowers or herbs or even strawberries.
When dealing with herbs or edibles, I use organic soil (Lambert Potting Soil is my fav) and organic fertilizer (Mater Magic, which is for all veggies and not just tomatoes) but you can use anything you like.
Happy Gardening everyone :)
herb plant tower, flowers, gardening
This is the finished tower already planted with herbs.
herb plant tower, flowers, gardening
I started with various terra cotta pots and a can of paint!
herb plant tower, flowers, gardening
And a piece of rebar. Here is a pic in case you don't know what it is. It comes in 4' or 2' lengths, which is much easier than cutting it. I used a 4' piece here.

• Mara Vsn

hi I want to build one but not glue them with conmcrete. what you suggest I use?

Thanks

• Leslie Long

Hi Mara. The only pot with concrete is the bottom pot with the rebar. The concrete keeps the rebar in place and stable. I know just soil alone will not work but perhaps large rocks around the rebar might help. The additional pots filled with soil add a lot of weight so I'm not sure it will work without actually using concrete in the bottom pot. The bar will shift without it.

• Melissa Edwards Rebry

I did this for our herb garden this year and have really enjoyed it...the only problem is watering...you have to do it slowly so it doesnt run all the dirt out...but otherwise great and lots of compliments on it!

• Leslie Long

Yes Melissa. I quickly realized that too. If you water it hard and fast the dirt flows put. Yours is beautiful....Glad you enjoyed it.