Mid Century Dresser Makeover

$50

What I know about refinishing furniture? Not much, as it happens.

I still gave it a try though… for a good cause..

I picked this dresser up from my local charity store - it was stacked high with toys and games but it still managed to stand out to me .

I couldn't wait to get it home! FYI this dresser now lives in my bedroom - click here to see the complete bedroom reve al

mid century dresser makeover

It had a few wobbly handles and the legs needed tightening a bit (still it was a beaut - dont you think?)

mid century dresser makeover

HERES HOW I GAVE IT A MAKEOVER:

1 After the initial inspection I concluded the dresser was in generally good shape. No damaged or missing veneer to be seen. 

FYI: if there had been areas that had needed repairing, here is an  easy tutorial on  how to fix this.

2 I cleaned the dresser with a lint free cloth

mid century dresser makeover

3 Next I sanded it all down with both my sander and sand paper

4 I then decided to stain the dresser for a more darker wood patina - I did this using dark wax (the stuff really smells be warned)

Using a brush, I brushed on the dark wax to small sections of the dresser, and then quickly removed the excess with a rag . 

mid century dresser makeover

5 Finally I ended with a bit of character - I dry brushed on some white chalk paint to the bottom of the dresser

What do you think?

mid century dresser makeover

You can see this tutorial in more detail on my DIY blog at the link below

Thanks for reading!

Medina from Grillo Designs Blog

• Chalk paint
  • Dark wax
Medina at Grillo Designs

• New Market Homes

What an awesome piece! How long did it take you to complete the whole project?

• Robyn Garner

@Tina there is a post on here somewhere that a woman did a dark finish on the top and at the bottom where here there is white wax, she used gold paint with sharply delineated lines where it began. Gorgeous piece! 😍

• Rosy

What brand and color of dark wax did you use?

• Bob Schulenberg

I’m curious as to why you dry brushed white paint on the bottom?

Otherwise it looked like a decently designed Mid-Century piece!

• Mousie Girl

Wow I really it. Different but very pretty. Nice job.

• Carolinagirl

The more I look at your painted dresser, the more I like it. Now, you have inspired me...you could do this to so many things....got my head spinning! You're so creative. Thank you for sharing.