Mid Century Dresser Makeover

22K Views

What I know about refinishing furniture? Not much, as it happens.

I still gave it a try though… for a good cause..

I picked this dresser up from my local charity store - it was stacked high with toys and games but it still managed to stand out to me .

I couldn't wait to get it home! FYI this dresser now lives in my bedroom - click here to see the complete bedroom reve al

Time: 1 HoursCost: $50Difficulty: Easy
  • mid century dresser makeover

It had a few wobbly handles and the legs needed tightening a bit (still it was a beaut - dont you think?)

• mid century dresser makeover

HERES HOW I GAVE IT A MAKEOVER:

1 After the initial inspection I concluded the dresser was in generally good shape. No damaged or missing veneer to be seen. 

FYI: if there had been areas that had needed repairing, here is an  easy tutorial on  how to fix this.

2 I cleaned the dresser with a lint free cloth

• mid century dresser makeover

3 Next I sanded it all down with both my sander and sand paper

4 I then decided to stain the dresser for a more darker wood patina - I did this using dark wax (the stuff really smells be warned)

Using a brush, I brushed on the dark wax to small sections of the dresser, and then quickly removed the excess with a rag . 

• mid century dresser makeover

5 Finally I ended with a bit of character - I dry brushed on some white chalk paint to the bottom of the dresser

What do you think?

• mid century dresser makeover

You can see this tutorial in more detail on my DIY blog at the link below

Thanks for reading!

Medina from Grillo Designs Blog

Suggested materials for this project:

• Chalk paint
  • Dark wax
Medina at Grillo Designs