My Finished Tiny Backyard Space

$1800
6 Weeks

We have a tiny backyard but aren't letting that stop us from making it a beautiful space. Our space is full of DIYs and custom projects.
Here's the space we started off with...
It's pretty embarrassing...I know. We've been in the house for coming up on 3 years this fall. Last year was shot because I was pregnant and really sick, so we didn't do much at all to the space.
Then we put in a platform deck (not DIY, we had a licensed contractor do it to match the HOA-approved color scheme and appearance for the second-story deck we have). This alone made a HUGE difference. We were so excited with how much it cleaned up the space and gave us room to work with.
After the deck was in, we tackled some rock landscaping around the HVAc unit/utilities area and eventually around the perimeter of the deck as well.
This was a beast of a job as it involved pulling up grass (some alive, some dead), laying landscaping fabric and edging, and hauling tons of rocks!
We also built raised garden beds for veggies.
And built a removable screen for the HVAC area. My dad helped with this one since we didn't have a nail gun (also I had my hands full with the baby, so my dad is the best!)
We hung pots with herbs on the second-story deck's footers to dress them up a bit and maximize the sunniest spots in the yard.
And built a table and benches for the space!

So I know you just want to see how it looked finished...so here it is!
And at night, which I think is the best view...
This project is probably my favorite space we've done to date and was truly a labor of love (especially with a 3-4 month old!). I could not have gotten it done without help from my dad and husband. But we're so happy with how it turned out and have used it almost every day since we finished it.

For more about the space, including tons of pics, more details, and more detailed tutorials for some of the projects in the space, I would love to have you visit at the original blog post link here and below. Make sure to let me know what you think!!

(P.S., the overall price below is an estimate. I didn't keep track of all costs, but we kept the cost low with lots of DIYs. The main cost was the decking, which we were lucky to have my dad, a licensed contractor, do for the cost of materials.)

By Brittany Goldwyn

• Larry Penning

does the air conditioner concealer allow enough air flow, so the air conditioner can still run efficiently??

• Lin Yager Carouthers

This is also my concern! The AC will work hard trying to draw enough air in. It will shorten the life of the unit at the very least.

• Amber Smith

What did you use under the top deck? So rain and such wont drip down below?

• Deanna Pettit

It’s BEAUTIFUL!!!i love the added lights at the top! What did you use for the lighting?You guys really did an amazing job! It’s perfect!