My Finished Tiny Backyard Space

$1800
6 Weeks

We have a tiny backyard but aren't letting that stop us from making it a beautiful space. Our space is full of DIYs and custom projects.
my finished tiny backyard space
Here's the space we started off with...
It's pretty embarrassing...I know. We've been in the house for coming up on 3 years this fall. Last year was shot because I was pregnant and really sick, so we didn't do much at all to the space.
my finished tiny backyard space
my finished tiny backyard space
Then we put in a platform deck (not DIY, we had a licensed contractor do it to match the HOA-approved color scheme and appearance for the second-story deck we have). This alone made a HUGE difference. We were so excited with how much it cleaned up the space and gave us room to work with.
my finished tiny backyard space
After the deck was in, we tackled some rock landscaping around the HVAc unit/utilities area and eventually around the perimeter of the deck as well.
my finished tiny backyard space
This was a beast of a job as it involved pulling up grass (some alive, some dead), laying landscaping fabric and edging, and hauling tons of rocks!
my finished tiny backyard space
We also built raised garden beds for veggies.
my finished tiny backyard space
And built a removable screen for the HVAC area. My dad helped with this one since we didn't have a nail gun (also I had my hands full with the baby, so my dad is the best!)
my finished tiny backyard space
We hung pots with herbs on the second-story deck's footers to dress them up a bit and maximize the sunniest spots in the yard.
my finished tiny backyard space
And built a table and benches for the space!

So I know you just want to see how it looked finished...so here it is!
my finished tiny backyard space
And at night, which I think is the best view...
my finished tiny backyard space
This project is probably my favorite space we've done to date and was truly a labor of love (especially with a 3-4 month old!). I could not have gotten it done without help from my dad and husband. But we're so happy with how it turned out and have used it almost every day since we finished it.

For more about the space, including tons of pics, more details, and more detailed tutorials for some of the projects in the space, I would love to have you visit at the original blog post link here and below. Make sure to let me know what you think!!

(P.S., the overall price below is an estimate. I didn't keep track of all costs, but we kept the cost low with lots of DIYs. The main cost was the decking, which we were lucky to have my dad, a licensed contractor, do for the cost of materials.)

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn