Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

License Plate Garden Flower

$10

Don't you love garden art? I've seen flowers made from old license plates and thought "I could make those" and now you can make them too.
license plate garden flower
I found these license plates at a flea market. You can also find them on Craig's list, Ebay, estate sales, and thrift stores. I purchased mine for $1.00 each.
license plate garden flower
I wanted my petals to be curved. I laid a small paint can on it's side (made sure the can was closed tightly) then I laid the license plate on top of the can and rolled the plate from from side to side applying pressure as the plate began to curve.
license plate garden flower
To make the petals, I laid a license plate on top of a piece of paper then folded the excess paper over the plate and creased it.
I cut at the crease then folded the remaining paper in half.
I cut out half a petal shape and opened the paper for a full petal.
license plate garden flower
I laid the pattern on the back of the license plate and traced the shape with a sharpie.
I cut out the petal shape using a tin snips.
license plate garden flower
For the center of the flower:
A: I cut one license plate in half then drew a circle onto the back of the plate
B: I cut out the circle using a tin snips then made cuts around the outside of the circle
C: I bent the cuts with my hands, wearing gloves of course :)
D: Laying the flower center onto a piece of scrap wood, I drilled a hole in the center.
license plate garden flower
Then I drilled a hole at the bottom of each petal.
license plate garden flower
I flipped the center of the flower around and added each petal onto the bolt using the holes that I drilled.
license plate garden flower
To hold the flower onto a stake and give it more stability, I used a metal electrical box cover. Laying the cover on a piece of scrap wood, I drilled a hole in the center then drilled two additional holes, one on each side of the center hole.
license plate garden flower
I threaded one cable (zip) tie through each hole on either side of the center hole (yellow arrows). Once all of the petals were in place, I placed the electrical plate onto the back of the flower. I threaded the bolt through the center hole (red arrow) and tightened everything with a bolt.
license plate garden flower
I purchased a plastic covered garden stake and bent the top, placing the bend around the bolt. I wrapped each cable tie around either side of the stake (orange arrows). I added one more cable tie joining the other two ties together.
license plate garden flower
I love the look of the flower and that I could recreate it myself for under $10. There are so many different ways to make this flower - just use your own creativity!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 14, 2018 11:48 PM - More info

• Just as an FYI - License plates from the 1970s and earlier are highly collectible and in demand by owners of antique cars who look for plates issued the same years as their cars were made. Depending on the state and year, some dated plates are worth more than $100 a pair in good condition.

• Anna of 4

Myself, I wouldn't cut up the plates, if they are old, I'd hang them in my bldg, as I'm an antique collector