Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU
Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU
  • Bolingbrook, IL

Faux Mercury Glass Bird Feeders

Using Looking Glass paint, salvaged glass jars, bottles and plates I made up some ornamental bird feeders to get our outdoor season off to a start.
faux mercury glass bird feeders, crafts, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
I can't seem to throw out those glass jars whether it's spaghetti sauce or pickles, not to mention the lids. So I took a trip to the Goodwill to find mix-matched glass plates to be used as bird feeder tops and bottoms.
I painted the INSIDES of the jars and bottles, and then the underside of the larger plates (for the bird feeder bottom) and the top side of the smaller plates (for the bird feeder rooftops).
I painted up a bunch of jar lids and salvaged furniture hardware.
And then glued it all together in a stackable combination that created height and interest.
I had never used the Looking Glass paint or the E6000 glue before, so I was really nervous to try them, but it all turned out a lot easier than I thought it would be.
To see full directions, click on the blog post link below ~ thanks, Amy
Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU

• Ruth Tickler

how do you get it so the bird seed comes out of the jar?

• Diane Daughdrill

How does the seed come out of the jar or is it just a faux holder?

• Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU

@Diane Naaktgeboren and @Diane Daughdrill, If I were going to put birdseed inside the jar, I might not paint the inside of the jar because I'm not sure I would want the paint to touch the bird seed directly. I think what I would do in this case is to paint the outside of the jars and put a clear coat over that. I hope that helps ~ Amy