Douglas Hunt
Douglas Hunt
  • New Smyrna Beach, FL

Daylilies for days

A number of daylily growers and hybridizers call Central Florida home, and they opened their doors this weekend as part of their annual "Daylily Mecca." At some growers there were blooms as far as the eye could see, while others were decidedly smaller in scale, but everywhere was evidence of the beauty of these low-maintenance plants.
As with most things, the rules for growing daylilies are different in Florida than they are elsewhere. Here are a few words of wisdom from colorful character and longtime grower Dan Hansen:
1. Plant shallow. Mr. Hansen repeatedly suggested just dropping a clump on the top of prepared soil, which might be something of an exaggeration, but the crown should be no deeper than soil level.
2. Select evergreen cultivars. Dormant cultivars, and some semi-evergreen cultivars, require a chilling period our climate cannot provide and will cease blooming and eventually die out.
3. Plan to divide clumps as often as every three years. Daylilies pull down in Florida's sandy soil, which reduces their flowering. Dividing them rejuvenates the plant and provides more for you to plant or give away.
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening
daylilies for days, gardening

• Three Dogs in a Garden

These are all gorgeous! I especially like the opening daylily. I have always wondered. P.S. Some people write "day lilies". Like you, I always go with "daylilies". I have always wondered: is there an official way to write the word "daylilies"?

@Three Dogs in a Garden I suspect people write "day lilies" when autocorrect has its way. LOL! The American Hemerocallis Society uses daylily, and that's good enough for me.

• Barb in Texas

Would lilies grow well in hot, humid Houston, where I'm 'blessed' with a very heavy clay soil?