What is growing on my tree and bushes?

+12
Does anyone know if this harmful to my tree and bushes? I have been living in Florida for 4 years and this is the first time I have seen this.
q what is growing on my tree and bushes
q what is growing on my tree and bushes
q what is growing on my tree and bushes
q what is growing on my tree and bushes
  • Ann Ann on Jun 01, 2018
    picture ?
    • Elise Elise on Jun 01, 2018
      I posted 4 pictures, I’m not sure why you can’t see them.
  • 25593779 25593779 on Jun 01, 2018
    Lichen. Totally harmless, but it can be an indicator that your plant needs some TLC. I see dead wood and it looks like your plants could use some correct pruning and thinning. Lichen also grows on older bushes and trees that are healthy.
  • Dah33516238 Dah33516238 on Jun 02, 2018
    What you have here is LICHEN. It is harmless to your trees and bushes and can even look very attractive. It does not feed off them in any way and grows only in certain conditions. Flower arrangers buy it for their work in the same way that they use moss.
  • Bin11527812 Bin11527812 on Jun 02, 2018
    t on my bushes and a few tree's also. I sure wish someone would let you know, I also have it on some of my tree's & bushes. SEEMS IT'S A FUNGUS!
    whitish gray patches.
  • Craft lady Craft lady on Jun 02, 2018
    This is very invasive!!!! It sucks the life out of other plants. Pull it out!!!!!
    it hides under other plants so keep watching for it and keep pulling it out!

• Jaynie Jaynie on Jun 02, 2018
    It’s lichen. Lichen is a plant, not a fungus. Leave it alone! Hundred year old trees have lichen growing on them. Don’t remove it , else you could damage the bark of the tree or plant!
  • Sassychero Sassychero on Jun 03, 2018
    Sorry Carolbryan675, but Glancycorner is right. Lichen is harmless to plants and trees. It is quite beneficial to small critters that like to eat it though :) Don't you love the ability to share knowledge and correct misinformation in such a wonderful open forum. I know I do! Have a great day ladies!
    • Comas Comas on Jun 03, 2018
      Sure answered what I have wanted to know for quite awhile ! Thanks Brad
  • Sassychero Sassychero on Jun 04, 2018
  • Mar12987251 Mar12987251 on Jun 04, 2018
    Pull it out as it is a invasive plant and will kill your tree
  • Jeanette Jeanette on Jun 09, 2018
    Lichen indicates good air quality.
  • Marisa Marisa on Jul 23, 2018

Yes I keep reading that Lichen is harmless.

I have Lichen but ever since it appeared on my flowering tree is not doing well and has whole limbs that are dead. It has been in my yard for 7 years and just appeared last year. It is my only tree I have in my front yard and it gets sun all day and is not in a moist yard.

What could it be? No other signs of anything else but Lichen.