Patriotic Mason Jar Candle Holders

$15

Are you looking to dress up your 4th of July picnic with some fun decorations? These patriotic Mason jar candle holders are the perfect thing! With just a little paint plain jars are transformed into fun and festive flags!
patriotic mason jar candle holders
Here’s what you’ll need for these patriotic mason jar candle holders –
  • Red, White, and Blue Paint- (your choice- I used waverly chalk paint)
  • Paint brush
  • pencil
  • Sandpaper or an old emery board
  • Chalk paint wax or other protective coating depending on your paint
  • 3 Pint size Mason jars
  • Star shaped stickers (I used  these )
  • A sharp knife or razor blade

The first thing you want to do is add a few stars all around your jar, these will be the ones that end up clear when you’re all finished painting.

patriotic mason jar candle holders
Next you want to give the jars a nice base coat of white. I ended up doing two coats of my white chalk paint, letting it dry in between. Now let that base coat dry nice and thoroughly.

patriotic mason jar candle holders
Now add on more star stickers. I put the majority at the top where I knew I’d be painting blue you can put them over the ridged part by carefully wrapping them so they stick well. I added some others all over the jar just to add a few stars here and there.
patriotic mason jar candle holders
Now to get the wavy flag effect all you have to do is take your pencil and draw a nice curved line around your jar, about 1/3 of the way down.  It’s super easy to draw on the chalk paint. If you want to make sure the line curves continuously across all three you can line them up and draw the wavy line across all three then finish drawing the line around each jar.

patriotic mason jar candle holders
You can draw the lines for your stripes now or paint your blue on first. I painted the blue so that the first coat could have time to dry while I painted the stripes, but you can do it either way.  For the stripes just follow the curve you made for the blue part evenly around your jar. If you are worried about them being even you can measure about 3/4 of an inch down and mark it in several places around your jar.
patriotic mason jar candle holders
Once your paint is nice an dry it’s time to peel off the stars and reveal how cute it looks!
With a couple of layers of paint on them they can be a little tricky to get off so using a sharp knife or a razor blade to get under them can be super helpful!
patriotic mason jar candle holders
Once all the stars are off it’s time to distress them a little! Just lightly sand over the words, around the edges, where ever you want the other colors or glass to shine through. To be a little more precise an old emery board or nail file works really well!
When you’re all done distressing brush off any dust that has collected and then it’s time to either wax or spray coat your final product!
Once your final coat has dried they’re ready to go!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 09, 2018 11:15 PM - More info
Far From Normal

3 questions on this project