Asked on Jun 2, 2018

How do you remove post from anchor?

JenRickRachel's Trash~2~Treasures
+19

Short of burning, I have spent too much time trying to get this out. I am trying to replace them.
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Strangest anchor I've seen. Have you tried using a grinder/sawzaw to cut the metal flush with the concrete surface to remove it?
  • Deb K
    Deb K

Geez, i have been looking and not having much luck, maybe this string will help https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/8464/how-do-i-remove-a-fence-post-from-a-wedge-grip-support
  • Bijous
    Bijous

Drill a hole in it and burn it out. Sometimes the first idea is the best.
  • Lina Splichal
    Lina Splichal

Drill a large hole in the center from the end. Then jigsaw from the center to the sides and pull out the pieces.
    • Nancie Petty
      Nancie Petty

I tried that, but wood is all wet so it won't come out in pieces. Thanks for your help.
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Axe - Saw - Drill - Chisel - If all else fails Call customer Service at Metpost and ask them...........
  • Are you trying to salvage the anchor? If not, use a flat head screwdriver to pry the teeth back. Otherwise, cut the post flush with the end of the anchor, then use a wedge like this and drive it in with a hammer. Then just pull the pieces out
    • Nancie Petty
      Nancie Petty

I would like to keep the anchor. I have tried to split the wood, but it is wet and has expanded, that's why it's so hard to split, all it does is come off in strings. Guess I should be glad it was just the driver 4x4! Thanks for your help
  • Rick
    Rick

Nancie, This looks like a difficult project. I am assuming you are keeping the bracket and replacing the wood post. You will probably need some help get the bracket loose. Google it for ideas, you might find a simple answer but make sure the new wood post is pressure-treated wood for exterior use. If the wood is not treated is will rot out quickly and then you will be back to square one. Rick Allen
    • Nancie Petty
      Nancie Petty

Rick,
      I would like to keep the anchor, these were just the driver posts and went in easily but 3 days of rain expanded the wood now it won't come out. I have the green treated posts already and will be covered with PVC sleeves. Thanks for your help
  • Rick
    Rick

Happy to help, we've had 20 days of rain here in North Fort Myers and we can't even walk in the back part of our backyard. We moved here in 1986 from Grand Rapids, MI and the Weather People say this made the history books. I thought, WOW, aren't we lucky, LOL. Rick Allen
  • Jen
    Jen

Place a long metal screw or dowl with a flat end through the holes on the bottom and hit with a mallet. work your way around until you can pull it out.