To The Landfill OR NOT!

29K Views
Someone gave me this sad table 2 summers ago and it has sat in all the elements in the garden since then. So many times I was tempted to throw it into the back of the car and take it to transfer station. Can you blame me?
Time: 4 HoursCost: $25Difficulty: Easy
  • to the landfill or not
THEN! I found this fabric on sale and an idea began to form. I love using fabric under glass and this little baby was getting a face lift.
  • to the landfill or not
I liberally applied Maison Blanche Clear Primer to the underneath of the glass (after giving it a serious clean) Place the fabric onto the primer right side facing down into the medium. Smooth out from the middle to make sure it was flat, I then applied a liberal amount of primer to the fabric on the back. Making sure I also covered a good half an inch overhang
  • to the landfill or not
  • to the landfill or not
Leave it all to dry thoroughly overnight. The fabric overhang will be stiff to the touch now
  • to the landfill or not
Using a sharp blade simply run the blade along the edge of the glass and through the fabric making a clean cut
  • to the landfill or not
You see what a nice clean edge it makes? The fabric is now firmly in place underneath the glass
  • to the landfill or not
I cleaned up the table with a wire brush removing all the old flaking paint
  • to the landfill or not
I chose Maison Blanche Paint in 'Tourmaline' as the main colour for the frame, I also picked up some details in 'Sugar Cane'. I gave the whole frame a good coat of varnish too.
  • to the landfill or not
And here she is now, all pretty and ready to serve tea!
This table lives to see another summer.
  • to the landfill or not
You can see a video of this process by visiting my website and perusing my many technique videos

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 13, 2018 10:47 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Julie McDowell - Design Artist