To The Landfill OR NOT!

$25

Someone gave me this sad table 2 summers ago and it has sat in all the elements in the garden since then. So many times I was tempted to throw it into the back of the car and take it to transfer station. Can you blame me?
THEN! I found this fabric on sale and an idea began to form. I love using fabric under glass and this little baby was getting a face lift.
I liberally applied Maison Blanche Clear Primer to the underneath of the glass (after giving it a serious clean) Place the fabric onto the primer right side facing down into the medium. Smooth out from the middle to make sure it was flat, I then applied a liberal amount of primer to the fabric on the back. Making sure I also covered a good half an inch overhang
Leave it all to dry thoroughly overnight. The fabric overhang will be stiff to the touch now
Using a sharp blade simply run the blade along the edge of the glass and through the fabric making a clean cut
You see what a nice clean edge it makes? The fabric is now firmly in place underneath the glass
I cleaned up the table with a wire brush removing all the old flaking paint
I chose Maison Blanche Paint in 'Tourmaline' as the main colour for the frame, I also picked up some details in 'Sugar Cane'. I gave the whole frame a good coat of varnish too.
And here she is now, all pretty and ready to serve tea!
This table lives to see another summer.
You can see a video of this process by visiting my website and perusing my many technique videos

Julie McDowell - Design Artist

• Linda Sikut

Julie, I love this idea. My problem is that I can't figure out if you put the fabric underneath or on top of the glass. Your wording says surface so I'm not quite sure. I think this would be a great idea for a glass table I have. Can you help me understand, please?

• Linda Sikut

The first line was not part of the instructions. It was simply a statement, so one would have to assume what that meant. My friends & I have agreed not to assume since we can't read each other's mind.

Also, Julie replied to me that she changed the wording.

" Julie McDowell - Design Artist

I changed the wording a little in this post to hopefully make it clearer! It is such an easy fix and VERY addictive!"

I do believe that I read all of the instructions because that's my style. My thought was to make it a bit clearer for others and Julie did exactly that. She's a great Design Artist!

• Becky Boughton Smith

I have a topaz colored glass top (ovular) , could you do this to the top and then apply the clear primer or a clear varnish?

• Denise Rapp Smith

Is there a way to undo this if I don’t like the look? I thinking a big table and not sure if it. Ishtar be too much.

• Hi Denise

Yes the fabric will come away quite easily by pulling it away from the glass. You can use any kind of white glue for this that dries clear.

Hope that helps

Julie