How to Clean Your Return Air Vent

569K Views
While you're Spring cleaning why not check your return air vent to make sure its not hiding lots of dust bunnies like ours was! Oh and while you're at it, why not give your vent cover itself a nice new coat of paint? Visit our blog to see what I did step by step to make ours look new again.
  • how to clean your return air vent, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, how to, hvac
This is the after. After I totally cleaned everything. The vent, the wall and the actual return space from all dust and dirt.
This is the Before. Before all the dust bunnies moved out!
NOT a pretty site is it? NO! Are you going to check yours yet?
I simply used our shop vac to clean all the yuckiness away. After that I used a Clorox wipe to clean the wall where the vent rested and collect a really fine dust.
Aaaah! There we go, much better now! Dust bunnies all moved out!
I used some primer and white gloss paint to freshen the vent after I cleaned it.
The paint was a little chippy after cleaning it with the wrong cleaner. You can visit our blog to see what NOT to use! A little of the paint combo above fixed that though.
We now have a nice new looking return air vent in the hall way!

Suggested materials for this project:

DeeDee

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!