DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

How to Clean Your Return Air Vent

While you're Spring cleaning why not check your return air vent to make sure its not hiding lots of dust bunnies like ours was! Oh and while you're at it, why not give your vent cover itself a nice new coat of paint? Visit our blog to see what I did step by step to make ours look new again.
how to clean your return air vent, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, how to, hvac
This is the after. After I totally cleaned everything. The vent, the wall and the actual return space from all dust and dirt.
This is the Before. Before all the dust bunnies moved out!
NOT a pretty site is it? NO! Are you going to check yours yet?
I simply used our shop vac to clean all the yuckiness away. After that I used a Clorox wipe to clean the wall where the vent rested and collect a really fine dust.
Aaaah! There we go, much better now! Dust bunnies all moved out!
I used some primer and white gloss paint to freshen the vent after I cleaned it.
The paint was a little chippy after cleaning it with the wrong cleaner. You can visit our blog to see what NOT to use! A little of the paint combo above fixed that though.
We now have a nice new looking return air vent in the hall way!
DeeDee

• Donna Wilson

Could you tape some cheese cloth inside to help with the dust coming through . I have many allergies and dust is one . Cleaning the ducts throughout the house has mane things worse for me and it is a constant matter trying to keep the dust down inside my house ( Re air vents and heat registers )

• Hilltop Farms
      30 minutes ago

I use quilt batting and cut the size of register I put on outside with Velcro and change it monthly it really does catch lots of dust. I do it use the thinner batting and that does not stop air flow. My air guy also told me not to use the high rated filter also. I originally got the vent when I order a very high rated filter that was washable. I looked at the register filters and saw it was quit batting

• Ans10803042

Wait!? You use filters in your return air ducts and the floor ones too? I only filter the a/c heat pump unit. No wonder my house is dusty.

• Cheryl

I use dryer sheets in my vents and the house smells Good! Bonus 😊

• Rio4517398

Can you use a filter in it

• DeeDee

Hi there! No, this is a return air vent and this design does not take a filter. We use a filter on the actual unit in the attic though.

• Barbara

Totally makes sense to me. Don't understand why my A/C guy says NO!

• DeeDee

Hi Barbara! Thank you! Maybe he doesn't want you to do it yourself?

• Kimberly

You use the filters where the air is sucking in. You DO NOT use filters where air is blowing out. Hope this clears up everthing.