DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

How to Clean Your Return Air Vent

While you're Spring cleaning why not check your return air vent to make sure its not hiding lots of dust bunnies like ours was! Oh and while you're at it, why not give your vent cover itself a nice new coat of paint? Visit our blog to see what I did step by step to make ours look new again.
how to clean your return air vent, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, how to, hvac
This is the after. After I totally cleaned everything. The vent, the wall and the actual return space from all dust and dirt.
This is the Before. Before all the dust bunnies moved out!
NOT a pretty site is it? NO! Are you going to check yours yet?
I simply used our shop vac to clean all the yuckiness away. After that I used a Clorox wipe to clean the wall where the vent rested and collect a really fine dust.
Aaaah! There we go, much better now! Dust bunnies all moved out!
I used some primer and white gloss paint to freshen the vent after I cleaned it.
The paint was a little chippy after cleaning it with the wrong cleaner. You can visit our blog to see what NOT to use! A little of the paint combo above fixed that though.
We now have a nice new looking return air vent in the hall way!
DeeDee

• Donna Wilson

Could you tape some cheese cloth inside to help with the dust coming through . I have many allergies and dust is one . Cleaning the ducts throughout the house has mane things worse for me and it is a constant matter trying to keep the dust down inside my house ( Re air vents and heat registers )

• Mol10701244

My furnace began to quit working. Technician asked if I was using the high rated filters and I was as I also have allergies. He also said to remove those and use the cheapest filters available as the others do not allow the furnace to do it's job. No trouble with furnace since. Just change more frequently. I now buy the ones that can be washed out with hose etc.

• Ans10803042

Wait!? You use filters in your return air ducts and the floor ones too? I only filter the a/c heat pump unit. No wonder my house is dusty.

• Linda

There are filters you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes for floor vents. I used them in Montana and they were wonderful

• Rio4517398

Can you use a filter in it

• DeeDee

Hi there! No, this is a return air vent and this design does not take a filter. We use a filter on the actual unit in the attic though.

• Lnd30579752

Thanks, I have done this before and it is a great idea!

• John White

You should follow the below given steps to clean your return air vents :

• Before you start cleaning your return air vents you should make sure your AC is turned off.
    • Then use a vacuum to get rid of the dust and debris which is covered on your vent cover slats.
    • Remove the screws and the clips that holding the cover in place. Once the screws and clips are removed then gently pull of the cover off the walls.
    • Fill up your sink or tub with a solution of dish soap and hot water.
    • Immerse the vent cover in the soapy water and leave it to soak for about 20 minutes to loosen stubborn dust and grime.
    • Remove the cover from the water and scrub both sides with a damp cloth. Clean between the slats of the vent cover using a wet foam paint brush.
    • Rinse the vent cover thoroughly with clean water and then set it on a clean towel to dry.
    • Set your hairdryer on its cool setting and blow air into the joints and crevices of the vent cover to dry up any moisture that may have pooled in the slats. This helps to prevent rust from forming later.
    • Reinstall the vent cover when it is fully dry.