Faux Wood Grain Looks So Cool On a Glass Table

$45

We made this pretty table in one afternoon using a glass round, acrylic paint and a wood grain tool. I wanted it to look like painted pallet wood and it came out even better than I expected! I got the idea when I googled "paint a glass table top" and saw lots of projects with the underside of the glass spray painted. I figured we could do this and make it look like wood grain pallet boards.
I scrubbed the 36" diameter glass round and the black planter we used for the base with a soap pad. Then I painted the planter with flat black spray paint.
I used acrylic latex paint I had on hand along with the wood grain tool at the bottom right. It is a fun tool and makes this project easier than it looks.

On the BACK side of the glass, I painted each stripe one at a time then used the wood grain tool by drawing it thru the wet paint which I learned to use watching online videos. I varied the colors, the width of the "boards" and the faux wood grain for interest. When I made a mistake I simply wiped it off then repainted the board and grained it with the tool. Seeing the design pop out is almost magical!
We used black spray paint over the painted "boards" for contrast with the colorful design and to make the glass opaque. We FLIPPED the round OVER and secured it to the black planter with three globs of silicone glue. The colorful "boards" are now on the underside and the topside is clear glass and easy to clean. We just LOVE the way this came out and guess what, we had everything on hand so we didn't have to buy a thing. But if we did have to buy everything I estimate the cost would be less than $50.
Not only do the painted boards look great, but the glass on top totally protects the design and makes an easy to clean table for this corner of our deck. I'm calling this project a win win!

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Ann

• Betty Russell

Oh my gosh, so beautiful!! Great job!

• Sharon

This is gorgeous!

Did you use just the one single tool to get all of the different patterns?

• Ann

Yes, by rocking the tool back and forth as you drag it the different patterns will emerge. It's fun!