Chas
Chas
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Fort Collins, CO

Clean Your Washer & Dryer

$2

My washer and dryer are very well loved with our family of 4. Besides doing around 11 loads of regular laundry at a minimum every week (I know, right?!!!), it has to clean baseball gear, dance wear and costumes, pillows, blankets & bedding, and more. I figured it was about time to give it a little TLC and a deep cleaning to help them last.

clean your washer dryer
In a squirt bottle place 1 part vinegar and 10 parts water.  If you don't like the smell you can use a table spoon of lemon juice.  Or if you'd rather you could use dish soap and water as well.
clean your washer dryer
Spray down the entire exterior of both your washer and drier and wipe it clean with a wash cloth or microfiber towel.  Make sure to get the surface, buttons/dials, and all the nooks and crannies.  
clean your washer dryer
Spray with the vinegar mixture and use a tooth brush to get in tough spots like the bleach spout, the lid, etc.
clean your washer dryer
In my washing machine the center spinning part gets built up film, and it turns brown in color.  Use a magic eraser to clean that right up as well as any other tough spots.
clean your washer dryer
In your washer make sure to get on top and around the tub of the washing machine.  There is a lot of dirt and dust that collects up there.
clean your washer dryer
For the tub itself, place 1 quart (4 cups) of vinegar in your tub and fill all the way up with hot water.  Run your regular wash cycle.  Again you can add lemon juice to cut the smell of the vinegar if you like.  Once it's complete you can opt to do a second rinse cycle if you like. When the cycle is done, wipe it out with a clean cloth.
clean your washer dryer
Spray the vinegar mixture inside your dryer, as well as on all surfaces as you did with your washer and wipe clean with a wash cloth or microfiber cloth. 
clean your washer dryer
Use a toothbrush to get the dirt and grime up from tough spots.  Mine collected by the lint trap.
clean your washer dryer
My dryer came with a bristle wand.  I use that do dig down and get the extra lint out that my lint trap might not have trapped.
clean your washer dryer
I also use my vacuum cleaner with the wand attachment to suck out the lint trap.
clean your washer dryer
I spray my lint trap with the vinegar mixture and use a toothbrush to scrub it clean.
clean your washer dryer
Rise the lint trap off and let it dry.  If it's good and clean the water will run through the trap, if it's not clean enough the water will not go through the mesh.
clean your washer dryer
My washer and dryer look great and are all clean. Mine are almost 18 years old! Just a little TLC like this will keep them working well for a long time.

I would love to have you stop by my blog         Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 20, 2018 11:45 PM - More info
Chas

• Norma Alicia Garza

I am guessing this won't work with my HE washing machine. It has no center agitator and I don't know if adding 4 cups of vinegar to the tub would do more harm than good.

• Dawn

Norma, look online for how to clean it. It's completely different and there's areas where stagnant water sits because of the large gasket. There are also 2 traps if I remember that fill up and need to be cleaned out.

• Alice

would this help to get built up wax off a floor

• Melinda Moxley

Could u use Hydrogen peroxide to clean them instead??

• Lovesunique

I think it's a great idea to wipe your dryer down inside. I have a top loading dryer (love it and you can't find them now) and the drum would start to stick and I would have to manually roll it back. I did some research and found that dryer sheets leave a residue on the drum, or in my case the plastic sleeve that locks the drum. I started wiping down the plastic and no more sticking! Also, my old machine (Maytag and Fisher/Paykel) I could pull my lid off and really clean behind the lid and hinge area. Loved that. My new machine (Speed Queen) lid is screwed on and oh the gunk that builds up there. Yuck! Great post Chas.

• Chas

Thank you so much and thanks for sharing! :)

• Ann17116486

Nice