Stained Glass Patio Table for Under $25

$23

I found this glass topped table at a flea market for $5.00. I liked the height but it was too plain - it needed to be DIY-ed!

The table was in good shape with only a little rust and dirt.

The glass was easily removed from the metal ring and the table legs.

I decided on a sun to paint onto the table top. I found the picture on-line and had it printed at Staples. This was the biggest expense. You could also print the picture out on a home printer.

To begin, I needed lead lines. I used half a bottle of white glue and added black craft paint. The ratio was 2:1 (glue:paint). Giving it a good shake, it was ready to use.

Before starting on the table top, I wanted to make sure I had the tip open wide enough to make the lines but not too wide so it would just be a big mess. I used a paper towel to test.

I laid the picture onto my work surface and then laid the glass on top of the picture. I would be working on the wrong side of the glass, meaning the actual painting would be on the bottom of the table top once I was finished.

I began to outline the entire picture. I kept a paper towel handy to clean off the tip of the bottle from time to time.

I allowed the "lead lines" to dry. Because I'm a perfectionist, I used a utility knife to clean up any lines that were too thick.

I carefully cut away any excess paint. If I accidentally cut an entire line, I just reapplied some glue and let it dry.

For the color, I used clear school glue and craft paint at a ratio of 3:1 (glue:paint). I mixed it well until it was the consistency of honey.

Using a small, flat brush, I began to fill in the picture. If the color was too light, I applied two coats of paint; however, you don't want it too heavy or the light won't shine through.

My picture had a lot of dimension to it so I added different colors to the face and blended them while the paint was still wet.

For the background, I used a larger brush to paint in the large areas.

Once the background color was dry, I added accents in lighter and darker colors.

While the glass was drying, I used a fine grit sanding sponge to remove any rust and "rough up" the surface of the table edge and the legs.

Once the sanding was complete, I wiped the entire surface with mild soap and water.

I sprayed both pieces with several thin coats of spray paint. After the first coat, I lightly sanded the surfaces again and wiped them clean. If there were any drips, I lightly sanded them and applied more paint.

Once the entire glass painting was dry, I sprayed two coats of clear sealer onto the painted surface side.

Putting the table back together was a snap.

I love the way it turned out. The sun has dimension on the face and the accent colors in the background are subtle but really add another layer.

This table definitely is a showstopper in our outdoor space.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips

• Sheri

Beautiful, I have a round outdoor table that I want to use. My concern is that the underside of the glass is not smooth it textured. Was yours,

If so what did you do?

Sheri In Texas

• Deanna Perata

Since this picture you copied was painted on the underside of the glass....could you have glued the picture you printed on the underside and sprayed resin on it afterward? Just wondering since you said printing the picture was the expensive part of the project....and it would have been a quicker thing to do.

• Vickie Snelgrove

The fun of creating a unique one of a kind table would be lost if you just tape the picture underneath. Just my opinion.

• Christy

When you color the yellow you use paint and glue. Do you use glue for the blue? Why do you mix glue with the paint?

• Sylvana cole

Gorgeous looks very professional

• Reba

Luv, Luv, Luv this!!!😁 I need to find something to paint!!!😂

Yours turned out gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!!💕