Stained Glass Patio Table for Under $25

$23

I found this glass topped table at a flea market for $5.00. I liked the height but it was too plain - it needed to be DIY-ed!

The table was in good shape with only a little rust and dirt.

The glass was easily removed from the metal ring and the table legs.

I decided on a sun to paint onto the table top. I found the picture on-line and had it printed at Staples. This was the biggest expense. You could also print the picture out on a home printer.

To begin, I needed lead lines. I used half a bottle of white glue and added black craft paint. The ratio was 2:1 (glue:paint). Giving it a good shake, it was ready to use.

Before starting on the table top, I wanted to make sure I had the tip open wide enough to make the lines but not too wide so it would just be a big mess. I used a paper towel to test.

I laid the picture onto my work surface and then laid the glass on top of the picture. I would be working on the wrong side of the glass, meaning the actual painting would be on the bottom of the table top once I was finished.

I began to outline the entire picture. I kept a paper towel handy to clean off the tip of the bottle from time to time.

I allowed the "lead lines" to dry. Because I'm a perfectionist, I used a utility knife to clean up any lines that were too thick.

I carefully cut away any excess paint. If I accidentally cut an entire line, I just reapplied some glue and let it dry.

For the color, I used clear school glue and craft paint at a ratio of 3:1 (glue:paint). I mixed it well until it was the consistency of honey.

Using a small, flat brush, I began to fill in the picture. If the color was too light, I applied two coats of paint; however, you don't want it too heavy or the light won't shine through.

My picture had a lot of dimension to it so I added different colors to the face and blended them while the paint was still wet.

For the background, I used a larger brush to paint in the large areas.

Once the background color was dry, I added accents in lighter and darker colors.

While the glass was drying, I used a fine grit sanding sponge to remove any rust and "rough up" the surface of the table edge and the legs.

Once the sanding was complete, I wiped the entire surface with mild soap and water.

I sprayed both pieces with several thin coats of spray paint. After the first coat, I lightly sanded the surfaces again and wiped them clean. If there were any drips, I lightly sanded them and applied more paint.

Once the entire glass painting was dry, I sprayed two coats of clear sealer onto the painted surface side.

Putting the table back together was a snap.

I love the way it turned out. The sun has dimension on the face and the accent colors in the background are subtle but really add another layer.

This table definitely is a showstopper in our outdoor space.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Dee Yaklich

Wow that looks very nice. You could start a part time business. If it sits in the sun will the glue loosen?

• Fran

Yes, the heat and UV rays will dry it out and it will flake off just like old weathered paint flakeing off the side of a house.

• Jill Ron Pike

She sprayed two coats of sealer on the painted side. It seems to me that would seal in the glue and it would not separate.

• Shs8286953

Where did you get the picture? I have a small round table and would love a sun print

• Kan24368108

We get hurricanes in Texas

Any ideas on how to protect glass table from hailstones.I’ve had my glass tables smashed recently!!

• Jeanette Kent

The only thing that I can think of (besides moving the table inside) would be to make a protective layer or table top that would fit on top of your glass table. Maybe you could use wood from an old pallet, lining the underside with foam so that it won't scratch. If you could make it with a bit of a lip as well, that might stop it from blowing off. It can be as attractive as you like or just functional. You could just remove the "lid" when you want to use the glass table - this might protect it from the sun as well.

• Christine Cajigas

Perhaps if you layed your glass tables on their sides with chair cushions over the glass & push table up against the house with chairs laying up against that. I know that with tornadoes (occasionally) thats what I had to do. I hadn't anywhere to go with mine. So thats what I did. ☺. Good luck!

• Christine Cajigas

Beautiful detailed work on your table. Most impressive!😉

• Mary M. Jones

What a great ideal. The table looks beautiful and I love the sun!

• Jfr9879441

Just curious , if you painted the bottom of the glass. Whole painting you would see the top of the picture. Does it look different from one side to the other? Is that something to keep in mind when choosing a picture?

• Alice

I am not sure I understand your question but if you asking what I think...Yes, the painting reverses when you flip it over to lay in the table frame. What you painted on the right half will become the left half when you flip it. Hope this helps.

• Christine Cajigas

JFranklin7093, yes, if your opting for a more detailed outcome, you do need to take your time. Flipping your glass occassionaly so you dont get lost with your design. Try using a mirror when you are doing the painting. Pick it up and hold facing the mirror. Trace design on glass if it will help give you perspective. Hope I understood what you meant, & that this helped. Good luck ☺

• Josie Lennon

Beautiful

• B baker

I LOVE IT, BEAUTIFUL....LOOKING AROUND MY PLACE TO SEE IF I STILL HAVE LITTLE GLASS TABLE....EXCITED ABOUT THIS PROJECT. THANKS FOR SHARING

• Mary Lou Lucas Stricker

I thought her instructions were simple & straightforward..

How did this Q&A section get so confusing?

I'll read the 'how to' again to clear my mind of this gibberish so I can actually try my hand at this great little project.

• Bsc27060987

If picture painted on bottom side of table glass, when done , is the painted side , now the top? Or is glass replaced as bottom side , so painted picture is under and not top of table?

Beautiful work.

• Barbara German

The painted side ends up on the bottom! It I should so lovely

• Laura Cooper

Jfranklin7093 I understand your question. I thought the same thing. Your shading and details would need to be painted first and then the background color. The only thing I see is that the thicker the paint, the more opaque, so some shading could probably be accomplished by adding layers. I'm not sure my brain is artistic enough to paint in reverse like that! Lol.

• Dawn Dewitt

If it get too hot will glue smear it or melt it?

• Janette

I wondered about that too. Being in South Florida, I’m not sure this would hold up??

• Christine Cajigas

Ive used a fan to quickly dry when gluing projects & even with some baking. The humidity is awful here. So, I learned years ago that a fan facing right towards my projects helps speed the drying process (turning occassionally)reguardless of what I'm working on. 😊

• Mary Lou Lucas Stricker

Ditto!

I think the question was referring to finished product holding up to the heat of summer...

• Christine Pardo

Per her instructions, she sprayed with 2 coats of sealer. Being in Florida or any high humidity location, you might want to use marine grade non yellowing sealer , make sure you spray the edges and place carefully in the rim (so as not to scrape the sealer).,,

• Gin24987825

Just curious-could you just use paint? Does it have to be mixed with glue? Would the paint by itself adhere to the glass?

BTW- turned out beautiful!❤️

• Janet

Where did you find the image? Was it a free site or did it cost?

• Beverly

Yes, I too am wondering why you mix the paint with glue...

and I know if you lived here in Texas, and if the table sat in the sun any length of time it would definitely soften the glue...enough to ruin the picture I think maybe...

i think you did a good job of painting it..it looks very nice.

• Jill Ron Pike

The paint is mixed with clear glue to make it translucent. Otherwise light wouldn't shine through it. She sealed everything with 2 coats of sealant when the design was finished. A marine-grade clear sealant would be a good idea if it sits out any length of time, and the glue, being under the sealer, won't soften.

• Cindy

Once this table was completed... how did it hold up to the elements of sun and heat?

did the glue melt when in hot sun?

• Jill Ron Pike

Put it in a shady area, or under cover if that worries you. She sealed it so the glue wouldn't melt.

• Mar30344757

Does the glue melt if put in a sunny part of the yard or does the sealer protect it?

• Lau7592466

I am assuming the painting is on the bottom side of the glass?

• Okie Chic

This is pretty!

Did you know they make glass paint for such projects?

• Beth

The only problem I could see with using glass paint is that it needs to be baked afterward. So if the tabletop is too large....

• Donna

Plaid makes Gallery Glass - it doesn't need to be baked. I don't know how it would be outdoors though.

• Kka24338414

No. There’s a product called gallery glass. It doesn’t need to be baked at all. They have the black

for lead lines and all kinds of colors

• Kathleen Semler Mcmillen

Not if you get paint and peel paint. It is made for painting a stained glass look. I use it to make free hand stained glass stick ons... they do not melt

• Susan

This sounds cost- effective (cheaper than buying specialty glass paint). A lot of crafters have white glue & crafting paint (I know I do) but would have to go get glass paint. As this is on the underside of the glass, weather won't affect it, nor will banging it or chipping be an issue - it's protected.

• Cheryl Lynn

The article said the glass/ glue painting was sealed with clear coat

• Bev

I've used Gallery Paints and absolutely love them. I have a 12 foot wall of windows in my kitchen and didn't want to have to worry about curtains. They have been decorated for over 15 years and I have NO regrets. They look like stained glass and still look like new! Greatest products of this type I've ever found.

• Pamster

Beautiful. How do you keep the paint from running when it gets wet? Elmer’s glue is water based and will wash away pretty quickly in rain or dew.

• Pam LoCoco

how long do you let the glue dry?

• Janice Heinzle

Beautiful. You did such a great job. All I have are woodtop tables. I would love to do something like this to liven them up. Any ideas? I have a very old round dining table. I think I would like to have a design on top of it. One that could be removed. Hmmm....This is getting my creativeness flowing. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

• Alyce

But a piece of round glass and do the same

• Alyce

But a piece of round glass and so the same

• Kori Miller

They have those round pieces of glass at Michaels and Walmart etc. for those little stand tables with 3 legs ..I’m guessing that would be a perfect place to start

• Laurie Schwarz

Very unique idea; it's lovely. You did a bang-up job and your instructions and pics make it clear for anyone to follow. Now, JUST ENJOY!

• Cheryl Hurst

The above instructions say "school glue". I question that because most school glue is not permanent and washes off with water. The bottle in photos says Glue All which is not a school glue and is more permanent. What did you use?

• Susan Mollnow

It looks like the Glue All was used for the "lead lines" and the clear school glue was used to achieve the colored glass look. It's on the underside of the glass table and it was sealed with a clear sealer, so it will most likely be okay. However, the links at the bottom appear to send you to a school glue and not Glue All, so be wary of using those.

• Jou33502776

Hi Cheryl, it will not matter if the glue is not permanent since there was 2 coats of clear coat applied on top of the paint and glue. This will seal it in and protect it from the elements, not to mention its all on the underside of the table top also protecting it. :)

• Ramona Yunger

I have the same tables. This idea SEEMS wonderful. My problem is taking the glass out. My DIY helper is no longer here so, my question is. #1 - unscrew the legs & slide them out, but then———it looks like the glass is clipped in with plastic restrainers, I don’t want to break them. It doesn’t look easy to me. How did you get the glass out?

• Karen Julio

I tried to do the same, but ended up having to tape up the glass, spray paint the metal ring, then you can just do the sun painting after.

• Par30493505

Are you sure Elmer school glue is the proper glue for this project, I belive school glue is not water proof for outdoor use.

• Jim Saurman

Evidently she coated it with several coats of clear spray paint, which should seal it up pretty well. But I agree with you, it would not stand up to any sort of weather/sprinklers/condensation etc. But if it's kept on a dry patio, should be fine. I'd recoat the underside with the clear spray paint once a year, just to be sure.

• Sharon Lewandowski

The glass was probably flipped so the side she painted on was underneath

• Liz

So true. She stated that it is the reverse side of the glass. She put a clear coat on then flipped it before putting it back in the metal frame.

• Christy Roppel

Would it be possible to decoupage this on the bottom? I am not a painter, but I sure could decoupage it. Or, cut it into littler pieces and glue/decoupage this a a faux mosaic?

• Roberta Shaw

I think we could do anything as long as we seal it like she did. I’m not sure what she used for her sealer but I can go back and find out. I have a different design idea though. Good luck to both of us. I hope yours comes out great.

• JudyH

She used a clear spray sealer. It is on the products used list with a link to Amazon.

• Teri Sweeney

Where did you find the sun picture?

• Bubbles

I would like to lodge podge a pic. Any reason it wouldn't work??

• Robin

It should be fine on the underside of the table.

• Eli29298798

LLooks amazing,has it peeled or dulled? Outside weather?

• Theresa D'Ambrosio

Beautiful work! I'm doing a similar "stained glass" project with Elmer's glue and paint but am having trouble with bubbles in the glue/paint mixture after application. They are near impossible to pop with a toothpick or straight pin and mar the overall appearance of my project. You didn't mention anything about bubbles being a problem so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.... The only thing I've found to be effective is to let the mixture sit for at least an hour after mixing, to allow the bubbles to dissipate, and then to apply the mixture very slowly so as not to create new ones. Any advice would be appreciated.

• MadameRã

Hi.. i have done many methods of the look of stain glassing, from the hardest to the simplest * though If selling it must be done the harder way..

Bubbles are a problem with many a ‘liquid base product’... The oldest & easiest way is to use tiny bits of NON acetone/acetone,& if it has aloe vera in it, even better.

**Safety suggestion always always do small sample tests on a glass jar(or something disposable thats is glass)... remember to use small drops for adding to your amounts, which Should be done in small amounts when preparing,stir well & Gently using ‘wooden’ skewers ~ i use a dropper(from chemist) for the Non acetone acestone~~~ which is a safer nail varnish remover.

Truly hoping this will work for you. *As the article said, do be careful & take your time so all can look as best as possible ~~ though know there is No Such Thing as perfection; this is an area that only You can decide.

HAPPY CRAFTING:)))

• Theresa D'Ambrosio

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I will try the non acetone product.

• Peggy Heathman

Very beautiful. Thanks for all the great tips. I’m curious about the bubbles the one person asked about. Did you have the same problem? If so what did you do to counter that?

• Luwells

So the painting is on the bottom, correct?!

• Sandra Bock

your showing white an clear glue. Do you need both?? If so do you mix both together?

• BushAndBeachLife

White for mixing with black paint for lead effect.....and clear for mixing with other paints for stained glass effect.

• Sharron Christie

I would love to try this project but the glass does not come out of my table. Any suggestions on how to do the painting with the glass affixed?

• Sandy

Turn table upside down

• Elaine Seibert Jackson

Can you turn the table upside down onto your work surface? If you can, you might be able to use a less ornate design that you could do working around the legs.

• Katherine Howard Jones

You could also use scotch tape the design to the underside and paint the top but it wouldn't be as protected.

• Sharron Christie

Thank you for your responses. Not sure this will work as the legs curve in toward the centre of the glass. Lovely table but very awkward. Perhaps a stencil that can be taped down and spray painted from the underside. Nevertheless, it’s a great project to keep in mind for another time when I get a table with removable glass.

• Debbie Houchins

Any way possible to make a glass top table shatterproof? After a terrible glass top dining table accident I have sworn off glass top tables but still have a patio set. Any suggestions before trashing it so I can do this project that I love .

• Gnomegirl

You could try purchasing plexiglass.

• Melanie Klem

There is not a way to make an existing piece of glass shatterproof. No glass is completely shatterproof. It has to do with the heating and pressing process during manufacturing that makes it LESS likely to break.

• Homie

You can purchase security window film on Amazon that would be applied after painting. It keeps shattered glass from breaking apart into fragments—can’t keep it it from breaking, but makes it much safer if it does break. Automotive glass has a layer of this stuff sandwiched between glass layers.

• Lisa0364

I am going to give it a try. I will let you know how it turns out. I love it. I love your picture you picked. Do you mind if I use it also? Can you tell me where you found it?

• Glenna Wade

I’m curious, why use glue? Why not just paint it with paint? Or markers?

• Bernice

Becaus because the glue dries translucent

• Bet

It adds texture and the appearance of a stained glass window. You can feel it as in a relief piece of artwork.

• Lisa0364

I am going to give it a try. I will let you know how it turns out. I love it. I love your picture you picked. Do you mind if I use it also? Can you tell me where you found it.

• Marta Vinzant

If you're painting on the back side of the glass, wouldn't you paint your accent colors on first and then paint the solid background over it? If you paint the background first, the accent colors will not show through to the front side.

• Robyn Garner

I agree that some of the detail she so painstakingly painted has been lost. Wondering: Since you sealed your work at the end, would it hold up to the weather if it were on the top side?

• Diane Schule

If you are referring to the face of the sun a d its rays, she said she BLENDED the clear colors while the were still wet. The blended paint will show through. Thst is how I interpreted her narrative. She did a wonderful job!

• Marta Vinzant

I was referring to the background. If you paint the solid background first and then the accents, when you turn it over, just the background will show. I understood the blending part.

• Betty

I think she painted the background after the sun was done, using a wider brush. If you look closely at the pictures, you'll see the sun is done before she starts with the blues for the background. And for the background, she painted the little details first and then painted over.

• Kathy

Marta, I agree with painting the accent colors first. More of the detail she painted would show. But, since the table top is translucent when done, not all the detail would be lost. Also, I'm guessing some of the background detail was added "on the fly" as the picture developed. That's what happens on most of my projects. Regardless, the table turned out beautiful. I would not have thought to use glue.

I'm totally impressed.

• Jane Nickris

Right. Paint those accents first then let dry. Pay attention to the blending, that's important on the face. Also apply the lighter painted areas first then dry. After that, put on the darker later.

• Lkv32345074

It looks to me that she DID paint the accent colors first, then painted the blue background.

• Celia Collier

Lightest colors first. A great way to blend: add the colors you want, in the amount you want. I use round toothpicks to swirl/blend to the look I want. I also use the sharp tip to remove air bubbles.

• Lisa

How did you get the glass out of the table? I have an identical table and can't find any screws to loosen or way to detach the glass.

• Celia Collier

I'm not sure, but I believe removing the screws from the center legs will release the ring holding the glass.

• Lisa

I can't find any screws. I think it might be suatered together. :-(

• Johnson Victoria

I'm wondering how the color holds up in the sun?

• Kari L. Olson

If you re-read the instructions, it states that the picture is placed on the WRONG side. Therefore, the sun, rain, hail etc. shouldn't be of an concern.

• Sherry Servesko

Totally confused! If the painted ‘sun’ is painted on the reverse side HOW would you high lite with the paints? You would have to do reverse painting to start with.

• Sue

Lovely painting. Where did you find the picture?

• Mmi33362525

Did you put the original painted side under or on top?

• Kmd2676375

No question. Only a comment. Have you considered entering your project in Sate Fair Competition? I have no dout you would take first place in your category. Go for it.

• Christine Hollifield

What kind of sealer did you use ??? Poly urathane , acrylic ???

• Joaninfo

I have an acrylic top table. Will these supplies work the same on it?

• Marti Repic

Yes. The glue will stick to both acrylic & glass.

• Joe Jones

Yes it’ll stick but it’s not going to be as clear since it’s on the bottom you will need to pick a design that’s not as detailed

• Deb Owen

This is absolutely beautiful! My concern is how will this not melt in the summer heat?

• Sharon

Sealing it will keep it intact. The glue is dry so it won't melt. If anything, the heat will make it dry out more.

• Linda Tatom Peterson

I’ve done this before. The paint will curl and loosen. If you turn the tabletop upside down to place it back in the frame, you’ll have less trouble with it getting damaged from sun and rain.

• Joe Jones

She painted it onto the bottom of the tabletop that should help keep it from curling

• Joi Williams Edwards

was the paint in every section on the table was mixed with glue?

• Camoline

Yes.

Refer back to the instructions. The ratio is 3:1 so that means you use 3 parts glue to one part paint. The glue gives the paint it’s translucent effect so the sun will shine thru it and thus producing the faux stained glass effect.

• Tlw6933834

https://decoart.com/glass-paint/glass-stain

this is an awesome stain glass paint the is translucent.

• Alicia W

Hi Joi. Yes all of the paint was mixed with glue. Please refer to the the project instructions above.

• Gail Terry

Why not just use stained glass paint? It is great I have used it for lots of projects.

• Dianna Longoria

That's what I wondered too.

• Janet Errett

Wouldn't that cost more than the glue solution? I've seen stained glass paint that seemed very plastic in the end. This seems like it would look more organic and the colors would only be limited by what you could come up with☺️

• Cookie

Im assuming price? White glue and craft paint makes more for the price.

• Alicia W

Hi Gail. Yes you could use stain glass paint; however, this project was to show you how to use your regular craft paint to paint glass so you don’t have to go out and buy stain glass paint.

• Gail Terry

Why not just use stained glass paint? It is great I have used it for a lot of stained glass projects.

• Marna Michalik

What was the spray sealer you used?

• Dianna

How does the glue hold up in sun and heat

• Jacx

I would keep it out of a lot of direct sun and store it in a shaded area. Should last quite awhile.

• Patricia Holland

How do you clean this stained glass painted project?

• Jeanne Martin

The painted side is underneath. So the top is the other side, just glass. Use Windex or whatever to clean it!

• Patricia Holland

So I can’t do this process on a window then right?

• Tim42542241

Faux seems to thin what do I do

• Margherita McCallum

What is the link to the different options of glass designs that you chose from?

• Kat Rogers

Hi Again, Margherita~

Might I make a suggestion: You could Google A Topic Or Item That You're Particularly Fond Of, and print out a picture. If you're wanting to get THAT Picture onto an opaque tabletop, using carbon paper underneath is an easy way to trace it (At least I READ that IT IS~ I'm going to make the attempt One Day in the not TOO distant future!) on, but then you'll probably want/need to take additional steps to Protect Your Art Work from being scratched off.

Again, I hope I was of assistance.

🐈

• Margherita McCallum

Also, i have a resin top outdoor side table. Can i use the same paints on resin that you used on glass?

• Kat Rogers

Yes, you can. She actually just kind of improvised on using acrylic paint on the glass, as enamel paint might usually be recommended for painting glass. You may not need to mix the paint with glue as the glue was only added to provide more of a transparency effect to the paint~ particularly if you're not painting onto a glass tabletop (I believe you said it was resin).

I trust I provided some guidance for your upcoming project... And

Have Fun!

Kat

• Sheri

Beautiful, I have a round outdoor table that I want to use. My concern is that the underside of the glass is not smooth it textured. Was yours,

If so what did you do?

Sheri In Texas

• Deanna Perata

Since this picture you copied was painted on the underside of the glass....could you have glued the picture you printed on the underside and sprayed resin on it afterward? Just wondering since you said printing the picture was the expensive part of the project....and it would have been a quicker thing to do.

• Kat Rogers

FABULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL WORK~ You must be very proud of yourself [I'd be Damn Impressed OF MYSELF as My Artistic Talent Strays In THAT Area!]!

I, myself, am also quite partial/taken by That Lovely Celestial Sun Goddess Face~ Excellent Choice!

Thank you for the Inspiration!

• Sally Sigler

I have a glass outdoor coffee table that needs this update! I am super excited to give your project a try. Thank you!