Stained Glass Patio Table for Under $25

$23

I found this glass topped table at a flea market for $5.00. I liked the height but it was too plain - it needed to be DIY-ed!

The table was in good shape with only a little rust and dirt.

The glass was easily removed from the metal ring and the table legs.

I decided on a sun to paint onto the table top. I found the picture on-line and had it printed at Staples. This was the biggest expense. You could also print the picture out on a home printer.

To begin, I needed lead lines. I used half a bottle of white glue and added black craft paint. The ratio was 2:1 (glue:paint). Giving it a good shake, it was ready to use.

Before starting on the table top, I wanted to make sure I had the tip open wide enough to make the lines but not too wide so it would just be a big mess. I used a paper towel to test.

I laid the picture onto my work surface and then laid the glass on top of the picture. I would be working on the wrong side of the glass, meaning the actual painting would be on the bottom of the table top once I was finished.

I began to outline the entire picture. I kept a paper towel handy to clean off the tip of the bottle from time to time.

I allowed the "lead lines" to dry. Because I'm a perfectionist, I used a utility knife to clean up any lines that were too thick.

I carefully cut away any excess paint. If I accidentally cut an entire line, I just reapplied some glue and let it dry.

For the color, I used clear school glue and craft paint at a ratio of 3:1 (glue:paint). I mixed it well until it was the consistency of honey.

Using a small, flat brush, I began to fill in the picture. If the color was too light, I applied two coats of paint; however, you don't want it too heavy or the light won't shine through.

My picture had a lot of dimension to it so I added different colors to the face and blended them while the paint was still wet.

For the background, I used a larger brush to paint in the large areas.

Once the background color was dry, I added accents in lighter and darker colors.

While the glass was drying, I used a fine grit sanding sponge to remove any rust and "rough up" the surface of the table edge and the legs.

Once the sanding was complete, I wiped the entire surface with mild soap and water.

I sprayed both pieces with several thin coats of spray paint. After the first coat, I lightly sanded the surfaces again and wiped them clean. If there were any drips, I lightly sanded them and applied more paint.

Once the entire glass painting was dry, I sprayed two coats of clear sealer onto the painted surface side.

Putting the table back together was a snap.

I love the way it turned out. The sun has dimension on the face and the accent colors in the background are subtle but really add another layer.

This table definitely is a showstopper in our outdoor space.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Margherita McCallum

Also, i have a resin top outdoor side table. Can i use the same paints on resin that you used on glass?

• Kat Rogers

Yes, you can. She actually just kind of improvised on using acrylic paint on the glass, as enamel paint might usually be recommended for painting glass. You may not need to mix the paint with glue as the glue was only added to provide more of a transparency effect to the paint~ particularly if you're not painting onto a glass tabletop (I believe you said it was resin).

I trust I provided some guidance for your upcoming project... And

Have Fun!

Kat

• Sheri

Beautiful, I have a round outdoor table that I want to use. My concern is that the underside of the glass is not smooth it textured. Was yours,

If so what did you do?

Sheri In Texas

• Deanna Perata

Since this picture you copied was painted on the underside of the glass....could you have glued the picture you printed on the underside and sprayed resin on it afterward? Just wondering since you said printing the picture was the expensive part of the project....and it would have been a quicker thing to do.

• Kat Rogers

FABULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL WORK~ You must be very proud of yourself [I'd be Damn Impressed OF MYSELF as My Artistic Talent Strays In THAT Area!]!

I, myself, am also quite partial/taken by That Lovely Celestial Sun Goddess Face~ Excellent Choice!

Thank you for the Inspiration!

• Sally Sigler

I have a glass outdoor coffee table that needs this update! I am super excited to give your project a try. Thank you!