A Gorgeous Succulent Garden You Can't Kill

$2

I love flowers and plants but I don't have a great track record in keeping them healthy and alive. So lately I've been making lots of faux plants and succulents for fun to decorate my home. I've even made some cool ones out of plastic bottles recently which you can see here.

For these gorgeous succulents, I used repurposed felt scraps and even upcycled the planter.
I get a kick out upcycling old clothes into cool things for my home. And I get an even bigger kick of using the scraps from these projects to craft with.

That's what these gorgeous succulents were made from. I used the felted sweater wool scraps from my stash to make my faux succulents. (Sweater felt is made from putting wool sweaters in a hot wash in the washing machine). You can of course just use craft felt to make these succulents (see here).

I started by cutting my wool felt into small strips and quilling it. As you can see I made 3 different types of succulents using this method. I glued the rolled/quilled strips into 3 different shapes and stuck them together to make 3 different kinds of succulents.

A handy tip is to use a pin to keep your quilled felt in place whilst the glue dries.
For another kind of succulent, I cut out petals from the felt and stuck them together in a round shape.
For my floppy leaf succulent. I cut out a strip of spiky leaves and then wrapped them around some forestry wire and glued in place.

There are so many fun and easy ways to make faux succulents out of felt if you want more ideas and photos don't forget to visit my blog post at the end.

I used an old cookie tin as a planter and a round cork trivet from Ikea to mount the succulents on.
I stuck floristry wire to the base of every succulent I had made if it didn't have one already. I simply used a hot glue gun for this.

I then arranged my succulent garden by stabbing the wire through the cork base.
To upcycle the cookie tin planter you can either just paint it. Or to keep in with the upcycled clothes theme, cover it with denim waistbands. I simply used a strong glue to stick my denim waistbands around the cookie tin.
To finish off, the cork board with the succulents is simply placed in the planter. You can add a few small stones to hide the cork and to add to the effect.
If you don't have a cookie tin that size you can always use something else like an old casserole pot.

I had such fun making this succulent garden and have now had a few requests to make them for friends. I think I'll just invite them round for a craft evening where we can make our own felt succulents.

For even more tips and succulent ideas visit the blog post.

Claire at Pillarboxblue