Ignoring The Ceiling!? Statement Ceiling Focal Point in an Afternoon!

$65

Ceilings typically get the short end of the design deal but this year, statement ceilings are trending! Creating a bold, eye-catching look above you might be 'in' but it can also quickly overpower a room. Instead of transforming the entire ceiling, construct a statement ceiling focal point. You'll still get that trending look but it won't become overwhelming or feel heavy.
You'll need:
* Trim and four rosettes
* Peel and stick wallpaper and scissors
* Spray paint, measuring tape, a straight edge, white caulk and a caulk gun, construction adhesive, and a pencil
*  Wood filler, a drop cloth,  and a paper plate
* A miter saw and a nail gun

First, pick your spot.  I've chosen to create my statement ceiling around an existing light fixture in my dining room.  You can also go with a fixture-less spot over a sitting area, alcove, or entryway.  The sky...er, ceiling's the limit!

Using the light as the middle, measure out to make a square.  I'm measuring out 48" on each side to create a 4 foot by 4 foot square.  Mark each side with a pencil.
Cut the peel and stick wallpaper to the same size as your 4 foot by 4 foot square.  More than likely, your wallpaper will be about 20 inches wide so you will need two full 20 inch pieces that are 48 inches long as well as a third piece only 8 inches wide by 48 inch long piece.  Make sure you cut the pieces so that the patterns line up.
Begin affixing the wallpaper to your square by using the pencil marks as a guide.  With a 4' square area, I was able to place one full piece of 20 inch wide wallpaper without having to adjust because of the light.

Loosen the fixture's canopy so that you can stick the next piece of wall paper behind it.  You can either turn off the electricity to this light or be really careful not to touch any wires as you work around the fixture.  Measure from one end to determine where to cut away the portion of the wall paper so the electrical box isn't covered.  
Finish affixing the remaining wallpaper and smooth out.

Spray paint the rosettes and trim and let them dry according to the directions.  I'm using Rust-Oleum's 2X Ultra Cover Paint and Primer in gloss white as this will match my finished trim in the rest of my house.
Paint the rosettes and trim and let them dry according to the directions.
Once fully dry, flip over the rosettes and add a dab of construction adhesive to the backs of each.
Firmly press onto each corner of the wallpaper square.  Overlap the wallpaper just a bit but evenly so that you have the same amount of overlap on each side.  
Shoot a nail or two into each rosette to keep it in place until the adhesive dries.
Measure between each rosette and cut the trim to fit.  
Run a bead of adhesive on the back of each piece before pressing into the ceiling and follow with a couple of nails from the nail gun.
Use wood filler or white caulk to fill in the nail holes.  I prefer the wood filler as it fills quicker and doesn't wipe away as easily.  
When the wood filler dries, spray a bit of the paint onto a paper plate and use your finger to dab the paint onto the nail holes.  I found that two coats of dabbed paint made the filled nail holes disappear.
Caulk the lines between the rosettes and trim.  This will give everything a seamless, professional finish.  Wipe up any excess caulk with a damp cloth as you go.
A trending statement ceiling focal point in one afternoon!

OnTheFly...DIY

• Joyce Walker

what if you have popcorn ceilings?

• Tamara Mohn Ashlock

Really nice and a great idea. Why the red shoes?

The finished project was enough to say you had talant.

Keep up the good work

• Michael

What if you do NOT have a pair of red stilettos?

• Dorin

Great project! I imagine you can do this with real wood planks as well? and yeah.. LOVE the shoes!

• OnTheFly...DIY

Yes, real wood planks would be gorgeous, too! Thank you! High heels are a daily part of my wardrobe - my point with these are that if I can do the project in them, anyone can do the project! :)

• Jacquie Trundy

Why couldn't a person decopage a popcorn ceiling?

• Angela

Love the finished project. Adore the shoes! Where did you get them? I must have a pair!!

• OnTheFly...DIY

Thank you so much!! I got them at a resale shop but they are JustFab brand and the shoe style is 'Fabrina'. I'm guessing you could find them online :)

• Sylvia

I sooo want these shoes too definitely going to look them up! Thanks!

• Barbara Zorzin

Do you wear those shoes when on the ladder? I sure hope not....for your safety.

• Denise

Great idea with the ceiling. My same comment about your pretty shoes!

• Sylvia Wright

ROFLMAO...GREAT CATCH. I AM STILL LAUGHING! I was outside spray painting and a neighbor walked by. I had a shirt on stained with paint, black pokadot pajama bottoms and my crappy paint covered flats..LOL

• Mark

Who wears shoes like that when working around the house???

• Irene

DO YOU HAVE TO WEAR RED HIGH HEELS WHILE DOING THIS JOB?? LOL

• Judy

I was wondering the same thing! Gawd!

• Tim Orr

Yes...yes you do if you look good in them!!

• Lynn Wingo Koerber

Love the ceiling focal point AND the shoes

• Loretta Champagne

Honestly didn't notice her shoes until I scrolled down and read the comments. I was loving her creativity! Good Job, red shoes or not.

• Vici Krall

i guess that's one way of showing how easy the project is... "you can even do this in stilettos!" Frankly, I love it!

• Vici Krall

• Tara Austin

I would have been more worried and that un-manicure....

• Shirley Miller

OMG. When I noticed the foot wear, I just laughed....

can you say “seriously”. I can not imagine what being on a ladder would be like, besides dangerous.

I do like the look tho lol lol lol

• Irene

yes, you look lovely in these darling high heels, but you're getting more attention for your shoes than all the good work you are doing! but yah, it's funny, no offense intended.

• Kris Freese

I would have gotten spray all over my shoes. Love the ceiling tho!!

• Connie

Why are people concerned with the shoes?? Sounds like old biddies looking down their noses😁😂😂😂

• Vee

It does seem a bit silly to wear high heels especially while working on a ceiling! High heels on a ladder?

• Laurie

seriously! who would be wearing high heels?

Old biddies? NO need to call people you don't know names!

• Terri G.

Some old Biddies rock it in some high heels! Glamour everyday, glamour every way!👠👠

• Connie

Didn't call anyone a name ...said it SOUNDS like old buddies looking down their noses when people find it necessary to critique her choice of shoes rather than workmanship😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Anonymous

This 61 year old biddy loves the red shoes!

• Barbara

all i can say is that looks like a 911 call waiting to happen

• JudyH

And in the 1950s all the TV moms vacuumed and cooked meals wearing pearls! Ridicules right? And yes the shoes are cute but unsafe and totally inappropriate when working on a project involving a ladder and a saw. Just plain old-fashioned common sense!!

• JudyH

• Jean

Can you do this on "popcorn" ceiling?

• Leigh

You would need to scrape the area where you apply the wallpaper and the trim. Otherwise, the popcorn would show through the wallpaper and the trim would not fit flush to the ceiling.

• Virginia

Scraping popcorn off is messy but really easy. Get a spray bottle. Put some water in it. Spray the area. Scrape off wit putty knife. That easy. I did it to my whole bedroom, easy peasy.

• Emma

Why would you wear high heels 👠

• Cathy

Because she can! She’s a superhero if she can wear those and so this kind of work! I think it’s great because I can’t! My back hurts just seeing it but I love the shoes!

• Martha Lapp

Maybe to reach the ceiling?

• Sharon

wish i could wear them. I could put them on as long as I don't walk lol.

• Debi

Cuz she spells W-o-M-@-N 😱

• Joyce

Turn off

• Gilly Reade

Maybe it turns the hubby on lol 😂

• Carolyn beal

Because she really isn't doing this craft her self, turn off

• Kimm King

Yes She is!!! Drop the mike!💕

• Karen Kroll

great question

• Pam

Because it was cute...and she wants to show you it was indeed her doing the work! I'm sure they we only for the photo...and she didn't do construction work all afternoon in them. Chill out and give her a break! ☺

• Waaaay off topic here: I have never seen such a tiny chop saw! Is it a mitre saw? Where the hell did you find one so small? I would love to have one to throw in my saddle bags, would sure make work more tolerable

• Laura Haven

Rachel,

As much as you are used to saying "h*ll"--it isn't needed in the sentence. Everyone just needs to watch their language when out in public.

Take care,

P.S. You might try your local hardware store or Home Depot or Lowe's. Look online if you have to go that route.

Good luck!

• Ann Lewis

It says Craftsman on it. Check Sears.

• Sissymae Marks

How would i do this on a celing that is angled in the middle i think its beautiful

• OnTheFly...DIY

Without a pix of your ceiling to reference, my guess would be that you could miter the trim the same way as you would around a wall corner. I think that would look pretty cool!

• Kathy Wiemer

Can you do this with around a ceiling fan???

• Centslessjo

Yes, You would just have to take the ceiling fan down (turn the breaker off for that first), do the project and then re-mount the ceiling fan.

• Centslessjo

Or you can just drop the ceiling fan down like they did the light fixture (if not too heavy?)

• Patti Sawatzki

Could you do this on textured ceiling?

• Jeremy poole

You need a smooth surface for bonding reasons. Many ways around it but using a 8” or 10” drywall knife you could scrape down the area where the wall paper will go. Under the trim would be fine.

Or you can do a skim coat with drywall mud to make the area flat

• Patti Sawatzki

Could you do this on textured ceiling?

• Patti Sawatzki

Could you do this on textured ceiling?

• Kay Lynn Wilson

No, you would have to scrape the texture off first. Please look up a video on how to remove the texture so as not to cause any damage.

• Kay M Johnson

TThis is alot of work to take the textured ceiling off. Then you done know what you will e to do to the ceiling underneath. These workman today slap it up there don't care because the textured ceiling will cover it up. Not worth the time and money to get it to look right. Been there. Better leave well enough alone. Another thing, if you don't like it or want to change it down the road. You've still got alot of work.

• Tina Bell Clemmer

Hey !! My name is Tina looking for something like a sliding barn yard door 🚪 for a sliding door 🚪 in my kitchen!!! Can you help me ?

• Lynn

Who wears heals for any home project

You are quite the fashonista.

• Tro9880123

It was unfinished primered drywall, what do you mean it would have to be scrubbed? Should I have scrubbed off the primer? Still confused why mine didn't adhere. I didn't trim the edges out in wood like you did, maybe that helped secure it from coming loose?

Just wondering....

• Ellen

Why not just use real wood rather then wallpaper

• Patti Sawatzki

Could you do this on a textured ceiling? Swirl texture.

• Karen Julio

I would use a textured wallpaper or maybe tin tiles so the texture doesn’t show through.

• Donnita nelson

Do you always work in Stilleto heels! Lol

• Connie

I wondered that about the 4 inch heels too lmao

• Marilyn K. Reed

The same though came to my mind too ... I was wondering of she wore them while climbing the ladder. LOL

• Jackie Marx

I hadn’t even noticed the shoes! I had to go back and look for them! But hey, if she can do it... go for it!

• Becky

I laughed out loud at the shoes. Home Improvement, diva style.

👍🏼👍🏼

• Lisa Thrift Morton

I’m betting there is some overspray on the stilettos from the paint. Ha, ha.

• Donniesue Pirtle

She uses them for hooks to stay on the ladder!

• Neflerave

THAT WAS “ BEYONCÉ” 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼ON THAT LADDER, BECAUSE SHE WORKED IT OUT 👠👠👠👠 IN THE HEELS!!! LOL

JOB WELL DONE.....

• Debbi Morrow-Carlson

I thought the same thing

• Danielle Leigh

always time to be fabulous no matter what you’re doing lol

• Rose

I would have done this in heels BUY Im bi polar

• Vikki

seriously

• Nancy Dann

That was my thought too... A woman after my own heart. Heels and construction projects. Gotta look cute!

• Em

Obvious intent was to attract all of the attention she is getting.

• Nora Miller

Maybe she needed the extra 4 inches to reach the ceiling?

• Sue Fenske

How can she do this in those heels

• Janet B

Love it! Great job!!!