Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

How to Paint Tile Countertops in Three Easy Steps

$30
1 Day

If you have outdated tile countertops and want to bring them back to life WITHOUT demolishing your space, you’re going to be absolutely amazed at how easy it is to give your kitchen a fresh new look in just one day.
how to paint tile countertops in three easy steps
As you can see this kitchen has good bones and lots of potential. Why rip out the tile and go through the demolition mess when you can just paint it for as little as $30.00!  
I suggest covering the cabinets so you don’t get any paint on them. If you don’t have plastic, old sheets work well. I also used blue tape on the cabinets to avoid getting paint on them.  
First Step: Sand the tile to knock out the sheen and create grit so the paint sticks. This is the most important step. The directions on the box said to use fine grit sandpaper. I've always found 120 grit works best.
Second Step: Clean the tile. I like using TSP after I sand. It cleans grease and grime well.

Third Step: Paint the tile. This product works really well, BUT it has a strong smell. I highly suggest that you wear a Respirator mask and gloves plus open all the windows. I also took a fan and faced it toward the open door. 
IMPORTANT: You must apply two coats of paint for full coverage. The second coat must be applied before 6 hours.
Close up of painted countertop
Close up of painted countertop
What a difference a day and a little paint can make! Be sure to click on the blog link below to watch the video tutorial on this project.

👇👇👇👇

Subscribe to my weekly blog for even more creative DIY ideas!   

Follow me on Facebook @creationbycherylphan where you can learn a new paint technique every month!
Cheryl Phan

• Marlenepartridge

Probably it's just my equipment, but I don't actually see much of a difference. Is it still the same color, or maybe a little lighter? What was the goal?

• Reenaroc

In the very first picture you can see that the tiles have "tan" and brown tones. They are probably from when the house was built or remodeled some years ago. That being said, I'm sure there are many flaws that don't show up in the pictures, not to mention it's outdated. That type of counter holds dirt and germs in the cracks/grout and needs to be periodically updated or re-grouted for that reason alone. In the second picture she is showing you how she protected her cupboards when painting. It looks like at least one coat of the new color is on. Then she goes back to explaining the steps you need to do before you paint. It was a little confusing at first to me also. But I just kept looking and reading. If I had this type of tile I would try this. BUT, I would have to put my cats in the garage and bring the birds & cages outside. The fumes sound toxic. The second to last picture shows a nice new & clean "white" counter up close. A big improvement. The last picture is just farther away, but truly looks up-dated. Hope this helps.

• Pamela E Fowler

Could this be used on any other type of counter surfaces?

• Betty jrp

What about my kitchen floor tiles, what paint is best for it will a busy floor?

• Cheryl Phan

I would think that this paint would work on floors as well.

• Cindi

Very cleaver of you to think of deep cleaning, I would just assumed that was the "look" and moved on by replacing it .... you certainly $aved a bundle ! Looks amazing, clean and fresh

• Debra McMenamin

Clean and bright looking. Very nice!