Transform a Cheap Wall Mirror Into a Gorgeous Ceiling Medallion

$5

Unique ceiling medallions can be very expensive. Let me show you how to get the look without breaking the bank!
I am a detail gal. I’m that friend who will let you know (discreetly) that you have spinach in your teeth or makeup lines. When it comes to beautiful homes- the attention to detail is not lost on me. My eye goes directly to all the intricate fine points that make the abode beautiful. Ceiling Medallions do for a home like a fabulous pair of shoes do for an outfit – doesn’t just complete but, makes a statement.

Gone are the days of well crafted appointed homes being the norm. Today, we have cookie cutter, semi cookie cutter, “I want you to think I’m a custom home because of my price tag but in reality I am being built on the other side of town” home, and the “Once in a blue moon I gathered craftsman and artisans to build my dream house” home.

I live in a semi cookie cutter home. I used to live in homes from the 20’s, 50’s and 60’s ( lot of fun!) but when we moved to our current community (which I love by the way) we were a little burnt out on renovating. Plus, the idea of being the first homeowner of a property was intriguing. The home is lovely but I have spent the last 10 years slowly (well kinda slowly) transforming each room into a little more than its semi cookie cutter label.

Ok, now that you have a little back story – whether you wanted it or not (ha! I tend to do that from time to time.) Let’s talk about the project that created a bit of pizazz. The idea came to me when we were knee deep in a One Room Challenge.

I,mean We were busy with the transformation when I realized that my little $5 brass chandelier needed a little more oomph. Oomph like a ceiling medallion- yep my chandy needed a killer pair of heels to make her look complete (yes cheesy analogy, but I’m trying).
Three problems arose from my spectacular idea –
  1. The vents in the ceiling were awful close and we were not moving them.
  2. I was having a hard time finding a small ceiling medallion with character.
  3. Did I mention I was on a budget?
As I ran into Hobby Lobby for… who knows what, I saw these.
You seeing what I’m seeing? Friends, let me introduce you to my new ceiling medallion! These were $30 originally but at 50% off… hello little architectural miracle, you are jumping into my shopping cart!
REMOVE THE MIRROR-
The mirror came out very easily with a phillips screwdriver.
Please note that this is not the mirror I chose for the powder room – I kinda got too excited to see if it would work that I didn’t take pictures of the process. If I was going to paint this – I would use Elmers glue on the mirror part. Paint and peel the Elmer’s glue off – your’e welcome!! 

I wasn’t too keen on the color since I had gold leafed the chandy. I grabbed one of my favorite metallic spray paints –
And changed its destiny. No longer a simple wall mirror but now a little bit of ceiling art. Because I had the spray paint in my stash, wanna know how much this set me back?
5 BIG ONES! 5 BUCK A ROOS! $5!
My apologies for the photo lighting- it’s hard to photograph in a room without windows. But you see how complete the ceiling lighting is now, right?
INSTALLATION-
This “ceiling medallion” was so light weight that I didn’t have to add liquid nails or screws or hooks to keep it in place. Please over do the safety if you find your dream mirror turn medallion – make sure it won’t come crashing down in the middle of the night or on you.
I was looking online and came across this little guy from Ballard Designs… for $79.99. You could purchase this idea but it is no longer available, so there’s that.
If you are like me and need to keep it to a certain price range- take these ideas and while you are out and about, find your way to the clearance aisles of stores (you know I am a big fan of clearance aisles. HUGE.) You never know what treasure might await!

Joy

• Januwine

love this.....but isn't the price actually 15$? ($30 less 50%)

• Rich

$5.00 X 3 = $15 Why 3? There are three medallion mirrors in the pack. Cool?

• Donna Ohanian

Love your idea! Great way to hide moving a dining room light over a bit. What is the center bowl made from? The part that covers the wiring?

• Joy

yes that is correct - the bowl part is part of the chandy.

• Kay

Great idea, but how did you put up the medallian, without taking down the light.?

• Rich

Good question she didn’t mention whether she did or didn’t take the light down but my guess is she had to plus she had to have used some kind of glue to hold them up!

• Lisa West

So clever right. I was going to do this years ago. Never got the chance as I had to get a restraining order etc because domestic violence isn't for me nor my kids at that time. Since then I have not had a chancy to do this with lol. Love it.

• Susan

Hope he’s out of the picture! Going through this with my daughter and her kids and he’s like a stalker. One protection order after another. Playing hard ball and freedom and happiness seems doable again. I hope it will be for you and yours.

• Barbara

Oh My Word this is outstanding!!! This is the best DIYer I’ve seen. This is amazing. My hubs says a big giant no because you have to take the lights and fans down. Shoot !! He is a boogerbear. Oh well