Yard Art From My Heart

$15

I love making something old, new again. About 12 years ago I turned this tomato cage upside down to hang a humming bird feeder close to my front porch, so I could watch them up close and personal. For the last 5 years it's just been hanging without purpose, so this is my season to give it purpose again.

I've collected colanders for years and enjoy finding ways to let them hold their own space and shine. A few weeks ago, I started shopping in my yard for all things old ready to be new; that's how the tomato cage became yard art (a 3-tiered planter).

I used engineering skills I didn't even know I had.  My husband Keith a mechanical engineer and my daughter Chakira the civil engineer were both amazed that neither one of them got roped into helping me. Excuse me; as I pat my right-brained-self on the back.

Last week, I read an email from Abby asking for tomato cage ideas. Whelp, that was the push I needed to finish this project and submit it.

I am happy with the finished product; I hope it inspires you too.
The beginning- all I need to get by
I gathered 3 different sized plates, florist wire, landscape pins, pea pebbles and a little copper wire; as well as a heavy duty tomato cage.
Upside down tomato cage
This cage is just to show what you'll need. The tomato cage in the project and pictures was put in place years ago.
All twisted and angled
I gathered the legs, bent them at an angle and wrapped them with copper wire.
landscape pin
I use the landscape pin to help the tomato cage stay in place, I twisted the pins to make it grip the cage wire a little better.
twist that thing
Twist pin and place on the edge of cage touching the soil
florist wire all crossed up
I crossed the florist wire and attached to the tomato cage so the plate could rest on it and look as if its suspended in the air
colander on plate
I set the plate on the florist wire, put pea pebbles on the plate to catch and hold excess water, from the colander which becomes a planter.
3- tiers of plates and colanders
put all 3 plates and colanders in place
Up close - up top
Planted each colander with purple my favorite color
All dressed and ready to bloom
Walllllah, all finished with lots of color, style, and personality!

CeeJai

• Sylvia

very cute

• Karen Hurst

So cute. I have some small colenders. I might have to try something like this. Thanks for sharing

• CeeJai

Thank you. I have fun with colanders. Post pictures when you finish.

You're welcome.