Dysko7710
Dysko7710
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Northfield, OH

DIY Outdoor Pallet Herb Garden

$40

My hubby and I like to cook using fresh ingredients as much as possible, which means using lots of fresh herbs. Herbs are pricey when you buy them from the store every time you need them, and we usually never even use it all quickly enough before it goes bad. I really wanted to make my own herb garden. I wanted it to be inexpensive and something I could have on my deck right outside the back sliding
diy outdoor pallet herb garden
I started with a plain wooden pallet. The first thing I did was pry off every other wooden slat to both make space for the herbs, and to nail each of those slats on the other side matched up with the ones I left. This would create the 'front' and 'back' I needed for each herb pocket:

diy outdoor pallet herb garden
After it was assembled, I used extra wooden slats from other pallets to create legs along the back, and then an angled anchor so that my garden could stand up on it's own with full support.
diy outdoor pallet herb garden
Next, I painted it using Ebony Minwax wood stain. I honestly have used this same can of stain on about 4 or 5 projects and it finally ran out after this one. This stain goes a long way. I love it because it comes out as a deep, dark brown with one coat. You can leave it as a brown or add one more coat to get the black color. I did one coat for this. Notice I did not stain inside the 'boxes' or 'pockets' where my herbs were going for reasons of food safety.
diy outdoor pallet herb garden
I decided to just use landscape fabric to make my 'pockets'. Some people nail an extra piece of wood under each part to make a wooden base for the herbs. Honestly I didn't feel like doing this! I just made cloth pockets with the fabric. I wanted to nail gun it in (this would have been easier), but my nail gun does not work. I am too cheap right now to buy a nail gun, so I used standard cork board tacks and nailed them in. This was not easy, and if I were you I would just buy a staple gun. But, I am stubborn and was determined to make the tacks work.
diy outdoor pallet herb garden
You can see I just tacked the fabric in around all of the sides and let it droop to create a pocket. I doubled up the fabric when I tacked it in. I also tacked a layer of fabric to the bottom of the legs in the back to catch any dirt and moisture, since this was going on my deck and I didn't want to damage the deck floor.

Next, my kiddos and I filled the pockets with herbs and potting soil.
diy outdoor pallet herb garden
diy outdoor pallet herb garden
Finally, I labeled all of my herbs. I printed out premade herb labels online. I mod podged them onto my pallet to label each herb. I have found that getting the paper wet helps the labels to lay flat for being glued and 'meld' into the suface better that you are applying them to. Here is my final result again:

diy outdoor pallet herb garden
This has held up great. We've had some major wind and storms come through and it hasn't budged! The herbs are growing and thriving, and it has been so great to walk right out on the deck to grab some fresh herbs for cooking!

• Wendy

I love your version of this project! The little labels are so sweet and boy is it lovely to see y'all working together on this!

• Gail

Thank you. I love your herb pellet garden. I will give it a try probably next year as i have started a different pellet garden. Thank u again

• Dysko7710

Thanks so much! Good luck on all of your pallet projects, I love using pallets.