Joy
Joy
  • Houston, TX

Super Easy DIY- Embroidery Hoop Wall Hanging

$50

Large art pieces can get pricey, this modern art beauty can be made for a real bargain, embroidery hoops are the key. A little hot glue, floral wire, and gold leaf make for a spectacular embroidery hoop art project.
Last fall, I decided to update our foyer area for the One Room Challenge. The foyer was a tad tricky due to 20 foot ceiling height, a set of stairs, narrow hallway and really large shallow art
super easy diy embroidery hoop wall hanging
MATERIALS:

STEP 1
Measure your space and make note of it. You will measure your art piece from time to time just to keep your sanity.

STEP 2
Take apart your embroidery hoops, use the solid hoops first. I ended up cutting off the metal connector part of the other hoop half and hot glued the ends together. Gently bend the wood back into shape before gluing.

STEP 3
Start with the largest hoop and hot glue a mix of other hoop sizes on top, bottom, left, and right. Then begin to add more hoops to each of those hoops. Use a mix of large, medium and small hoops to create a free-flowing piece of art. There isn’t a wrong way and there isn’t a right way to do this – just try to avoid huge negative spaces between the hoops.
STEP 4
Paint the hoop art in your favorite color. I chose to paint mine white. Make sure to paint both sides and interior. Allow to dry.

STEP 5
Once the embroidery hoop art is dry, begin wrapping the floral wire around the areas where you hot glued the hoops together. Tuck the wire ends into the wrapped area so they are not seen.
I tried a heavier gauge wire and it was harder to wrap and keep taut. Use a fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the rough areas.

STEP 6
Paint the green floral wire with Gold leaf paint.
STEP 7
Hang your art work. Thankfully this artwork is very lightweight and requires simple nails to hold it in place. We hung the piece using nails at the top corners, middle and lower corners.
Wanna know how much the whole project cost? $20!  I had all the supplies on hand except the embroidery hoops (which I got on sale)
Imagine how fun this project would look mixed with framed family pictures or a fun focal point in a nursery? The possibilities are endless!
Till Later,
Joy
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 11, 2018 11:30 PM - More info
Joy

• Jcm7413946

Love your idea. You mentioned possibly using framed family pictures. How would this be done.

• Diena Cameron

I made one for a photo of my granddaughter that I wanted to frame but didn't happen to have an extra frame for. I had a oval hoop that I had gotten at a garage sale. Here's a list of what I used.

1. Hoop, oval

2.photo copy of picture

3. Scissors

4. Small seashells

5. Hot glue, glue gun

6. Soda can tab

Cut out your photo to fit your hoop but add 1/ 4 inch around. Bend up that extra 1/4 inch by cutting every 1/ 2 inch or so, by bending up, you can slip the photo in between the hoops so that the photo is sitting towards the back as oposed to in front or on top. Then i hot glued the seashells all around to "frame" the picture and than I hot glued a soda can tab to the back for a hanger. Done ! Unless you want to paint or stain your hoop, I left mine because it was already painted green but thinking about painting a prettier color soon.Hope you like my little project 😍