Asked on Jun 7, 2018

How do I get paint off my new carpet??

KellieBeverly Edwards-CathcartLauren of Mom Home Guide
+4

I don’t know whether it’s the paint I used on the wall or the ceiling but it has dried out and is hard. It’s not oil-based.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Is it pile carpet? If it isn't a very large or deep spot-Sometimes you can trim the top tip off ( to include the paint) with tiny manicure scissors and the resulting pile removal will be unnoticed.
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

Try setting a wet sponge in the spot. Let it soften and then gently scrape up the residue. You could try a little soap and water after that and clean in a circular motion.
  • Margaret
    Margaret

I can't think of the name of the product but it removes dry paint. If you call a paint store, I am sure they will know what it is. Home Depot, Lowes...
  • Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I‘ve used nail polish remover to remove paint splatters in the past. You could put a little nail polish on a cotton ball and lightly dab the area and see how it works. But be careful, you wouldn’t want to use a lot of nail polish remover, and you’d want to try it out on an area not highly visible first.
  • Beverly Edwards-Cathcart
    Beverly Edwards-Cathcart

In a corner make sure the carpet is color fast and won't bleach out by rubbing a little Goof Off on it. If the rag is clean then you can use it on the dry paint. You may need to let it sit for 10-15 minutes. It really has a strong smell but works great. Removes paint, grease glue etc.
  • Kellie
    Kellie

Hi, my Dad is a retired painter and he swears by acetone (nail polish remover). One of his customers had this same issue in her hallway. She was amazed at how the acetone took the paint right off her new carpet in seconds with no damage. Like it was never there.

Good luck to you.