DIY: Easy and Budget Friendly Silhouettes

47 Views
I've always been fascinated with the booths that sold Scherenschnitte, the art of paper cutting design. I remember standing in disbelief at local Craft Shows in Pennsylvania that these women, with their tiny little scissors, could create something so intricate and beautiful. I would stand and peer over the shoulder of a Pennsylvania Dutch woman and watch her in awe.

When I became a mom, I was eager to have these perfect little silhouettes of my kiddies. As crafty as I am, I knew there was no way I could pick up some black paper and scissors and cut silhouettes freehand.

Here was my easy and budget friendly solution…
Time: 1 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • diy easy and budget friendly silhouettes
I took quick profile images of my kids and printed them out. It took some playing around with size to get just the right scale for my frames.
I wanted to be as precise as possible so I would know that the cute little nose, the hair cowlick, and that signature bow I captured in the image belonged to my kids.

After cutting with my sharpest scissors, I placed each image on a paper plate and gave it a quick coating of black matte spray paint, making sure not to saturate it and tear the paper.
I was looking for some added texture to my frames so I mounted each little silhouette on a piece of burlap, but these would also stand out and look gorgeous on simple white paper or any other background of your choice.
It’s not the intricate work of the ladies doing Scherenschnitte but for the price and ease, I just love these sweet little silhouettes of my kiddies.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Camera
  • Printer and printer paper
  • Black matte spray paint and paper plate
Jennifer Seislove

Ask a Question
      William Burbank, IL

Lovely. There are a lot of free photo programs that allow the user to convert photos into different textures. Photoscape is one I use. IrfanView is another.