DIY: Wood Slice Banner

15 Views
Quick, easy, inexpensive, and often repurposed projects are so my thing.

Off I went to my little slice of heaven…my very own version of Disney World…my very own thrill ride…TJ Maxx. And like always, I hit up the clearance section.
And discovered this.
Time: 45 MinutesCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • diy wood slice banner
It’s stuff like this that makes me giddy with excitement!

Someone might see trash. I see something that deserves to be treasured!
These mismatched stacks of wood slices that I assumed were meant to be used as coasters were beat up and calling for some love. I found a stack of 5 and a stack of 2 both marked at $3.00. The pricing didn’t even make sense. And lucky me, the cashier thought the same thing so I got all 7 pieces for $3.oo.  Woot woot!!
  • diy wood slice banner
I marked the spots where I wanted to drill with a pen and started drilling 2 holes on each slice. 
  • diy wood slice banner
  • diy wood slice banner
I could have freehanded the letters, but sometimes that just adds stress for me.
  • diy wood slice banner
I turned to my cheap transfer paper method by finding a font that I liked, printing it and then doing this…
  • diy wood slice banner
Just flip over any printed paper, give it a good scribble of pencil, flip it back and trace. Get perfect letters every time! 
  • diy wood slice banner
I happened to have a white paint marker on hand so without giving it a second thought, I started to trace and fill in the letters with it. The wood soaked up the paint a lot, so it required me to go back over it about 3 times. 
  • diy wood slice banner
I know you can see the pencil marks still, but seriously, there’s no shame in that. Move on. No one will notice.
  • diy wood slice banner
All that was left was to string em’ together! My large supply of jute twine to the rescue again! 
  • diy wood slice banner
  • diy wood slice banner
And there you have your quick and inexpensive project ready to be hung any where you'd like.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 14, 2018 10:45 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Jennifer Seislove

Ask a Question