DIY Sea Glass Window Art

$30

I’ve always loved these beautiful sea glass windows. I’ve seen them in the shops on Cape Cod and online and have always wanted one. A few years ago I made this Sea Glass Dolphin and Sea Glass Sea Horse and I thought, ‘hey maybe I could try to make one of those windows’! Well, I finally did. And here is how...

diy sea glass window art
Step 1: The first step in making your DIY Sea Glass Window Art is to dump out all the Sea Glass and arrange it by color.  I know these  mosaic tiles I bought from Michaels aren’t really ‘sea glass’ but I bought them anyway.  I’m glad I did.  The colors are awesome!  Also, if you have your own collection of sea glass, use that.  I do not have my own collection so I bought  these.
diy sea glass window art
Step 2:
Lay out your frame and start playing around with some designs on your glass.  This step takes a while.  It is like doing a puzzle.  I knew I wanted to make a wave so I imagined a basic shape and then started putting pieces in.

Please note, I didn’t have access to a real window like the ones on etsy.com so I bought a float frame from Michaels (11×14).  They were $24.99, but were buy one get one free (so I can make another one!).  If you want to try this project and can get a hold of an old window, great!  Go for it.
diy sea glass window art
After playing around with it for a while, I decided I wasn’t liking the purple sea glass so I put those aside.  I also decided to use the yellow as the ‘sand’ (see below), although I did use a few pieces of yellow in the wave part too.  I also found some shells from my collection and added in a few of those.  Once you have what you like, move on to step 3.
diy sea glass window art
Step 3: 
Start gluing them down.  This is where it gets tricky.  Once you start to glue, you end up rearranging the sea glass a bit.  It takes a long time to get them right.  Be patient.  I found walking away from it and taking a break every now and then helped me to get it done.  I used my glue gun to glue them down.  I’m not sure this was the best glue to use, but it definitely did the trick.

And, viola, here is the final product!
diy sea glass window art
diy sea glass window art
diy sea glass window art
diy sea glass window art
Like this project? Please check out my blog for lots more DIY and home decor ideas and please sign up for my email list.

The House house

• Ann Scully

Does the glue show through the glass as I assume that you are putting the glass side out towards the room?

• Erin

You could use Mac Glue as it’s specifically intended for glass on glass application.

• Kathy

How long ago did you do it? Wondering if the glue help up.

• The House house

I made this in June of this year. The glue has held up. I have it hung on my wall and it has been fine. Hope this helps.

• Bernice H

I can’t believe this is from a year ago...and how did I miss it? I am a glass freak..all sorts. I have had this in the back of my mind for a long time now..I love seeing you actually did it,and it doesn’t look as intimidating as I thought it would be. Very very nicely done.

I have done all sorts of things with gems,but haven’t touched the sea glass I have bought NUMEROUS times,because,I love glass.😁Anything glass.

this is lovely...now I am inspired. I will get to work...soon!🥴🤪👏

Am glad this came up again. Have you done any more?

This would be so cool in a bathroom too!