Need suggestions on how to update my den

+6
My den is dark, dreary and straight out of 1950’s. It is made of ponderosa pine paneling. I need suggestions on how to update it. I’ve painted the kitchen in this house that is also made from this paneling but I’m not fond of the way it turned out.
q need suggestions on how to update my den
  • Jennifer Laframboise Jennifer Laframboise on Jun 08, 2018
    I am looking for ideas also, I did my laundry room and no matter what I do not like how it turned out. I noticed it is also starting to chip in some places. I even bought the special paint.
  • Bijous Bijous on Jun 08, 2018
    That is beautiful paneling. Look into updating your lighting, use uplighting with sconces and good overhead lighting. If you insist on painting it, use liquid sandpaper on it along with a good primer. Good luck.
    • See 1 previous
    • Bijous Bijous on Jun 09, 2018
      Mid-century design has come back around. How about staining it and toning down the yellow? Then use the lighting as I've suggested and invest in some large pieces of artwork. I believe it would be quite up-to-date and lovely.
  • DD DD on Jun 08, 2018
    Have you considered drywalling over the paneling?? If so this may help http://homeguides.sfgate.com/change-look-knotty-pine-walls-27137.html
  • 1401470 1401470 on Jun 19, 2018
    I had an older home with paneling and painting really helped, so I used Behr interior flat because it has a mixed in primer. Flat because the walls toned down better and the look of paneling was gone. Kind of hard to explain but it worked. Then I replaced the moldings from the top and bottom. It was a rustic home so I choose a dark stain over Pine wood. It turned out really nice.
  • Sherrie Sherrie on Jun 19, 2018
    I painted my mothers and used a primer first then paint. No chips. tmThen I painted mine.
    mine was so old when I painted it grabbed paint. Also check behind sometimes they dry walled and just added the paneling Lester there could be dry wall behind the paneling. Later I had my room dry walled. I will like painted paneling better than paneling.
  • Duane Fauntleroy Duane Fauntleroy on Jun 26, 2018
    I'm just doing a wood conversion myself.... Key: BIN shellac primer: