Can Formica countertops/desktops be painted?

+7
I have a commercial office desk with a Formica top that I would like to paint. Wondering if it would hold up to everyday wear and tear.

Also, I have stark white kitchen and bathroom countertops that have seen better days. Not enough funds to replace them. Would love to do a DIY makeover with paint. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 08, 2018
    Rustoleum and Gianni both offer laminate restoration kits
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jun 08, 2018
    For the desk I had two just like that where the tops had seen better days. I decided to do two coats of gloss black rustoleum - it took two days between coats to dry but it is TOUGH I've been really impressed with how its held up.
    The laminate countertops can definitely be painted too, they actually sell kits just for that now!
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jun 08, 2018
    Yes, there are kits you can buy from Rustoleum.
  • Ken Ken on Jun 08, 2018
    Amazon and Home Depot online sell a countertop paint kit by Giani and customers have posted overwhelmingly positive reviews. Of course it does not last as long as a new plastic laminate counter top, but it doesn't cost as much either at a little over $2 a square foot for a 35 square foot kit.

If you want a plain color Rust-Oleum makes a counter top paint. It is less expensive but includes only the paint. Customers were not quite as pleased with this product but it may suit your needs.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 08, 2018
    Sand and prime the desk, then paint what ever color you want.... put a piece of glass or Plexiglas on the top (cut to fit) to protect from wear and tear.
  • Kate Hollingsworth Kate Hollingsworth on Jun 08, 2018
    Dianne from In My Own Style has a great tutorial for painting a marble effect on benchtops -

She says it’s held up great so far 😀xx

• William William on Jun 09, 2018
    Rustoleum countertop paint kit.