What can I put under my bird feeder to help make for easier cleanup?

+4
I currently have mulch and a few stepping stones under the feeder and it is difficult to clean up the shells that fall. I have thought of patio blocks or cement. What do you think? The feeder is in an area of my yard that also offers shelter and safety for the birds, as well. However, this area is also very visible and I would like to keep it attractive.

• You are right about the concrete stepping stones or patio blocks. Easy and inexpensive and sweeps up in a jiffy. Maybe you can choose different colors or styles and make a patchwork, to give it some interest?
  • Rosalind Curry Rosalind Curry on Jun 08, 2018
    What about some sort of flower pot?
  • Betsy Betsy on Jun 08, 2018
    My birds throw the seed out that they don't like and I end up with a mess. I put a black tarp under the area, securing it with stones so it won't blow up. Then, every couple of days I pull it out and, if the seeds are dry, put them back in the feeder. If they are wet, I throw them out. I tried the patio stones, but the seeds went through the cracks and started growing. If you like the look of the stones, then put them on top of the tarp. They are so picky!

• Janet Janet on Jun 09, 2018
    thank you