How to Make a Compost Bin With Pallets

$0

It took awhile for my family to commit to composting. Once we jumped on the train, I was excited to get started, but then realized we would need a space for a compost bin. We carved out the perfect nook in our backyard. This DIY is made with pallets, is 100% upcycled and eco-friendly, and Stepson even helped to get a Boy Scout merit badge. It’s the perfect solution for our growing compost and super easy for you to replicate. Check it out!

Before we get started, if you are interested in learning more about  How to Start Composting, this article covers it all.

This is the space we picked out. It was an unused corner of our backyard, and also south-facing. It’s a very sunny spot which is much needed for composting. We also moved the new Potting Bench here, so it ended up being the garden prep corner.

The other year, I went on a Sustainable Garden Tour in my neighborhood and was inspired by all of the composting. I wanted to create a space, and I also wanted to use as many repurposed materials as possible. I went onto our neighborhood chat list and found someone who was giving away these pallets. SCORE! They were already painted black, so we used it to our advantage.

Stepson needed a project for his Family Life Merit Badge. He jumped right in to help. Ok, so he was voluntold. But he did eagerly help and make it happen. Hubby helped as well. They cut the boards down to match, and then screwed them together. They kept the smaller pallets to use in the front as a permanent “door.”

Keeping it real here. I wanted to share a funny picture of me moving the compost. It smells, but it's not too bad. You get used to it.

This is the space. It’s perfect. We have plenty of space for the compost bins, and it’s close enough to move the finished compost into the larger bin. The potting bench and homemade potting soil make a complete space.

Want to see the entire DIY and project? Click on the link below and head over to the blog to read the article. I would love for you to stop by and say hello and let me know what you think!

PS - we have some super cool free printables for you too!

Holly Bertone | Pink Fortitude