Easy Garden Makeover

$150
1 Day

I have shared a few other garden makeovers here on Hometalk. In August of 2016, my husband and I downsized and purchased a fixer upper. The yard needed as much fixing up as the inside of the house did. I chronicle my garden makeovers at my blog called Gingham Gardens.
Easy Garden Makeover - Before
Here’s what this area looked like when we moved in. Later in the fall, we had the multiple-trunk ash tree cut down, so we were left with this weird area  with three or four stumps sticking up and a hosta growing out of the middle of them.
Easy Garden Makeover - Before 2
Here’s how it looked this spring after the trees were cut down. I tried to ignore it, but once I finished the  tiered garden, this little area was crying out for help.
Easy Garden Makeover - Progress
First, I cleaned up the area by raking off all the old mulch and pulling the weeds. Underneath the mulch was a layer of rock and roots, so I cleaned out as much of that as I could. Then I added several bags of compost. As I dug holes for the plants, I cleaned out more roots and rocks. Okay, so maybe this isn’t sounding so easy, but compared to some of my other makeovers, this was a piece of cake. As a side note, the area in the background of this picture looks so terrible that I can’t believe I’m sharing it, but I’m just trying to keep it real here and someday it will be beautiful too.
Easy Garden Makeover - After 2
I planted four hosta –  Lakeside Little Tuft, Touch of Class, Sugar Daddy and Halycon.  Alternating with the hosta, I planted two Sugar Plum Coral Bells (heuchera) and two Solar Eclipse Foamy Bells (heucherella). To fill in holes and to add some pops of color, I planted impatiens. As the finishing touch, I added a good layer of cypress mulch. The orb stand decor piece was a flea market find and it seemed to be a perfect fit for the center of this little round flower bed. As it fills in, my hope is that the tree stumps will be less visible.

Do you have a little area in your yard that could use some help? I challenge you to take on a garden makeover. There is such a sense of accomplishment when it’s complete that you’ll be ready to tackle another area… maybe.

15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Joanna - Gingham Gardens

• To Work With My Hands
    To Work With My Hands

This is really inspiring. We purchased our home a couple of years ago and it came with a "mature' yard...we still have a LOT of work to do, but this encourages me that even a small space at a time can make a big difference.

Your bed looks fantastic and that thrifted orb is just perfect!

• Joanna - Gingham Gardens
    Joanna - Gingham Gardens

Thanks so much, Karen. Definitely start small - that's my advice, but I don't always practice what I preach. Happy gardening!