Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

Tomato Cage Side Table

$15

Yesterday I made a bench, but I needed a custom side table to pair up with my bench on the porch. The look I was going for was rustic and vintage yet maybe clean lined. It needed to tie in nicely with the bench. As it turned out, this little table came together just like I wanted it to, with very little effort or money spent.
tamato cage side table
You'll need:
tomato cage
round wood top
clamps
screws
screw driver
tape measure
stain
wire cutters
tamato cage side table
This is a close up of the supplies you can get at Lowe's
tamato cage side table
Start by cutting your tomato cage. I just started with the wire that sticks out at the top I removed them with my wire cutters. The wire was pretty thick you may need your hubby for this. (strong hands and arms LOL!)
tamato cage side table
Next I grabbed my wood top that I bought pre-cut at Lowe's for $7.13
and stained it I used Min-wax ebony which is the color that matched my bench I had done yesterday.
tamato cage side table
As you can see I just set the stained top on the tomato cage but it was more like a cocktail table size. I then needed to remove another circle to shorten it up. I removed it this time from the bottom so my wood top would fit and the bottom wouldn't be so wide.
tamato cage side table
Then I grabbed my bag of one hole ground wire straps. I bought these in the electrical department at Lowe's for $1.78 they contained 50 3/16 sized pieces. So I'll have leftovers for future projects.
tamato cage side table
I flipped the wood top over and stood the wire cage on my wood circle. I measured it this way I could get it centered. It was about 2.5" from the edges. Then I grabbed some screws and fastened one on the left and one on the right to make sure it would secure the top and it would not move.
tamato cage side table
See how I fastened the cage to the wood?
tamato cage side table
Here it is at the height that worked for me. 15" round and 24" tall pretty standard for a side table height.
tamato cage side table
Done and on my porch.
tamato cage side table
You can see how this table tied in nicely with my bench I made. Its clean and simple but works great. The size ended up perfect for the spot I wanted. This tomato cage side table was a simple inexpensive way to make an outdoor table. The total cost was only $14.49 and it took only one trip to Lowes to get everything!

• Dahliaqueen

How sturdy is it? Being familiar with tomato cages (love our Jersey tomatoes) l csn’t

• Dahliaqueen

How sturdy is it? Knowing tomatoes cages from growing our Jersey tomatoes l cannot see table strong enough with cages as a base!

• Jewellmartin

The cages were designed many years ago to be sturdy. In a garden, of course, the pointed end goes into the ground with the large circle at the top. But many times they are put in with the large circle on the ground. If you are afraid you couldn’t use them as tables, in the dirt you make it sturdy with U-shaped garden stakes. On a patio, you can place one cinder block on the cement to weigh down the tomato cage. Best wishes ☺️

• Renata

Where in the world did u find a 15 ft. X 24 ft. tomato cage??

• Jeanne Martin

Hopefully Renata was just being funny. It is obvious it's not 15 'x 24'. Doh!

• Jeanne Martin

Love this! I have done the same but put flower pots in the top. I cut them at two different heights and they look great on my front porch. In the back right in the pic. You can buy the tomato cages in fun colors now too! I bought the red ones.

• Joy Schlein Kiesling

I was inspired by your project!

i took an ol cage, turned it upside down and bent the times out vertical. Then placed an old, colorful dinner on top.

Next , I grabbed my needlnose pliers! I gently curled each time up into a spiral, until just touched the plate and it was ready to use!

thank you for the inspiration!