Painted over popcorn ceiling...

+8
Want to cover it, but would be a solo project so needs to be SIMPLE and cheap..

• Deb K Deb K on Jun 10, 2018
    You can buy special paint rollers that paint popcorn ceilings.
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 10, 2018
    Hi Cathy,
    The simplest way would be to use Styrofoam ceiling tiles. Click on the link below for precautions to take before you begin and how to actually do the project. BTW, you could paint it but the problem is that when it's wet it tends to get mushy and start falling. That would make a horrible mess. It can be done if you're very careful, but I personally think the tiles would be a lot easier. My concern is that it might start falling when you're halfway done and what would you do then? I have a popcorn ceiling in my dining room that I really like. It has a little sparkling silver glitter and just makes that room special. I like it so much that when the ceiling needed painting we scraped down the old ceiling and had a new one installed. I know it's dated now, but I still like it. LOL Wishing you the best.
    • See 1 previous
    • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 12, 2018
      Cathy, I'm surprised that any actually came off with a small scraping since it's painted. According to what I've read, painting the ceiling seals in the asbestos. Just so you know, even without the paint, taking down a popcorn ceiling is still very messy. Since it has been painted before, you should be able to paint it again without it falling down.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 10, 2018
    If you want to cover it over.... bead board looks nice... but the 4 ft X 8 ft sheets are not easy to install by yourself.... There are the Faux tin ceiling tiles made of a foam or plastic material that is installed with construction adhesive and finish nails... but you will need at least one extra pair of hands to make it easier.
    Consider scraping off the popcorn ceiling and putting up a coat of Venetian Plaster .... this is a project that I have done by myself... and I am in my 60's and a short female who does not like ladders. The project is labor intensive... but... the main expense is for the Venetian Plaster .. and when I used it in one bedroom... I applied one coat of the plaster and finished with a coat of color matched paint/primer/ in one......
  • Karen Jurasinski Karen Jurasinski on Jun 11, 2018
    I use a sprayer if I have to paint a popcorn ceiling.

• Cathy Britton Cathy Britton on Jun 12, 2018
    There are form rollers specific for it, I've checked on those, but working overhead won't be an easy task...thank you so much for you time and suggestion.
  • Dave Dave on Jun 12, 2018
    It would be best to remove it all together. It should be tested for asbestos anyway before it is touched. I played someone to scrap it off, it did not have asbestos, all he did is wet it with water in a spray bottle and used a blade, it came right off. Looks much better than the popcorn. It is finished underneath.
  • Jean Jean on Jun 16, 2018
    I scraped mine off with a wallpaper scraper with a curved handle. What was left was a much nicer texture, Was messy getting it down but very rewarding. I painted with 2 coats of ceiling paint. Then I tried the master bath. The popcorn had been painted. I used the same tool. It was much harder to remove. Took me twice as long as the master. Looks good now though.
  • Cathy Britton Cathy Britton on Jun 16, 2018
    Thank you... appreciate the input, I'm not sure how many times the ceiling may have been painted, I tried a small section and it really didn't want to budge... little chunks but most a dusty type mess.