When a house needs sooo many REPAIRS & UPDATES where to start?

+4
Roof Replacement, Extensive Plumbing, Electrical etc.

• Pamela Pamela on Jun 10, 2018
    We are re doing a home for our retirement home , we are doing one project at a time and paying each job off , before starting the next project...less $ stress . I would start with whatever poses the biggest risk to your home or your safety... Maybe tackle small projects during or in between. I was surprised at how just scrapping off ugly stickers ( from the 70's )
    From our sliding glass doors leading to the sunroom made such a big difference !!!! Just updating ceiling fans or light fixtures in a room makes a big difference as well...good luck !!!!!!
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Jun 10, 2018
    If the roof is leaking, I would do that first. If the plumbing is leaking, do that first. If the electric has bare wires, do that first. You need to access everything by what is exactly wrong. The most dangerous/severe problems should be fixed first. You didn't say why you think they all need doing. Repairs should be first, updates second. Without more specific details that's the best I can come up with.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 10, 2018
    figure out what the most important issue you have and do that first.roof leaking repair the roof first, etc
  • Bijous Bijous on Jun 10, 2018
    Start at the top and work down.
    1. You need a stable roof so that water does not deteriorate the house further
    2. If plumbing is leaking, that is next. If it is not, electrical is next.
    3. Once the 3 major projects are completed, if insulation is needed in the attic do that.
    4. Secure the rest of the outside of the house before starting on anything inside.
    5. Once inside, wall insulation, drywall, floors and so forth.
    Good luck.
  • Shuganne Shuganne on Jun 10, 2018
    Roof first! Otherwise all the beauty you build inside could get ruined. Then keep at least one bathroom functional-round robin on the repairs there. Next, have the kitchen all planned out-and everything sitting in the garage ready-so that it is out of commission for as little as possible. My friendly carpenter tore out the kitchen and then had some sort of emergency family vacation that left me with an extension cord for either the microwave or the coffee maker, not both, the fridge un the dining room and me washing dishes in the bathtub for 3 weeks. Make a plan. Discuss it with everyone affected and the smartest person you know. Let it sit until you forgot everything and then read it afresh. Fix those obvious dumb ideas and then grab that hammer and checkbook and go to it!