Vertical Sunshine Garden

$20

I should have taken pictures of the before process but here is my take on a vertical flower planter using a pallet some empty plastic soda bottles and 2 6'x2's
vertical sunshine garden
I just attached the 2x6's to the back of the pallet. I buried the bottom of the posts about 1 foot in the ground and then put a couple of nails in the top and the fence to stabilize.
vertical sunshine garden
I just free hand drew the daisy then stained and painted. Clearly nothing fancy. The turquoise is stain and the white, yellow, orange and black are paint. After it dried I covered it all in 2 coats of poly
vertical sunshine garden
I wanted something cheap to plant in so I decided to try soda bottles.
vertical sunshine garden
some vertical
vertical sunshine garden
some horizontal. I just used my utility knife to cut out a section and poke a hole for drainage
vertical sunshine garden
I attached the bottles with my trusty staple gun
vertical sunshine garden
I sprayed a little turquois paint in the bottoms of the bottles just for color
I cut the tops off of the soda bottles but and then put the plastic back in the hole just to keep the dirt from washing out. You could leave the tops on if you wanted. I just didn't like the red tops.
vertical sunshine garden
Then I started planting. I went with pink and orange petunias
vertical sunshine garden
vertical sunshine garden
More flowers
vertical sunshine garden
And here it is all planted. I think it's pretty and when summer is over I just recycle those soda bottles. The only real cost is the cost of the plants. We were drinking those drinks anyway so this is just another way to recycle the bottles. You could use the bottles directly on your fence if you didn't want to mess with the pallet.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 09, 2018 10:04 PM - More info

1 question on this project
  • Wil10751567
    Jun 12, 2018

I will try this if I can figure out how you ATTACHED the bottles

to the wood (???????)

I found a half pallet during our Spring clean up week

on a boulevard and had kind of the same idea but

maybe with plastic pots.

• Cll7568214
      Jun 12, 2018

I just used a staple gun and stapled them to the pallet. I've done different pallets before and used plastic pots but honestly the bottles have held up better and they don't take away from the flowers.