Clear Clutter to Make Room for Crafting

$11

When you can't find something you purchased for a project, it's time to clear the clutter. I've heard that a messy space is the sign of intelligence; if that's true, I'm really brilliant! However, even I couldn't stand this mess any longer!
clear clutter to make room for crafting
This was the view from my recliner. Not very inspiring, was it?
clear clutter to make room for crafting
It was too messy to use the table!
clear clutter to make room for crafting
I found a little school desk and a shelf at the Goodwill Pound Store for $3.99 each. (I forgot to get a good before picture of the desk, but you've all seen them. It's the type you can pull a chair up to and have a little storage and flat surface to work on.) I cleaned it up and slipped it between the table and the wall.
clear clutter to make room for crafting
This awesome little shelving unit went on top of the desk. I finished cleaning it after putting it on the desk. It was really nice, especially for $3.99! I love the Pound Store! The shelves are faux butcher block Formica. They fold up for storage, and are fixed in place when set up. I used Murphy's Wood Oil soap on the wood parts, and Multi-surface Windex on the Formica. It kills germs as well as cleans.
clear clutter to make room for crafting
Another before picture of the shelves.
clear clutter to make room for crafting
Sorting out the craft supplies.
clear clutter to make room for crafting
After cleaning and drying the shelves, I organized my crafting supplies on the shelves and in the desk's cubbies. It needed something, so I hung some fabric that I bought at Goodwill a while back (because surely I'll need it for something) behind the shelves.
clear clutter to make room for crafting, Curtain to cover the mess
Curtain to cover the mess.
There was quite a bit of the fabric, so I hung it so that it could cover the front of the shelves when I'm not actively using the crafting supplies.

I know that there are so many things that can be done with that simple desk, as well as the shelves. It was hard to resist making a new top with fold-down leaves and painting the desk. As for those shelves: Pure gold! But I sacrificed the opportunities for the greater good. I actually have something else that is supposed to go in that space for the craft supplies, but it isn't finished yet. This is one of those temporary solutions that one sometimes has to use. It might not be magazine worthy, but it'll keep me off that hoarder's show for a little while longer!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 08, 2018 10:20 PM - More info