How do I make over my dining room table?

+2
I have an oak dining room table that I would like to make over to look more like a farmhouse white table? Can I paint it?

• Ken Ken on Jun 11, 2018
    Sure. I grew up in the 60s and our kitchen table was white painted oak. I don't like painting hardwood to make it look like cheaper furniture but it is your table and you should do what makes you happy. Clean, sand, clean again, prime (if necessary) and paint.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 11, 2018
    If the top is still in good shape, why not just rub it down with dark Old English Oil that you can get at the grocery store, then rough up the bottom of it and paint it either white or cream.

That will give you the farmhouse look but not have a table top where the paint scatches off!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on Jun 11, 2018
    I agree with Jeanette. General Finishes Milk paint should work well on your table. I used it to paint my oak kitchen cabinets: http://momhomeguide.com/white-painted-oak-kitchen-cabinets-reveal/
    P.s. An easy way to give your oak table a darker, rich finish would be to apply some Annie Sloan Dark Soft Wax. I did that with my kitchen table, and it really improved the look.