Fuzzy fungi: Can anyone help me with this?

+1
As I was passing a house I noticed an amazing coral colored plant. There was a older woman walking her dog in the drive so I pull in to ask what the plant was. She didn’t know and I asked if I could get out and look at it closer. To my amazement it was an Azalea! I have never seen one that color, a bright coral!
she said she planted them over 25 years ago. The one on the right is less than half the size of the other with a green fuzzy fungi. She didn’t know what was wrong and asked if I did, sadly I was clueless also. I told her I would ask and try to find out what to do. Can anyone help me with this?
q fuzzy fungi
This plant is about 6 foot tall and the affected one is maybe 2 foot.
q fuzzy fungi
The one affected is the stubby one in the foreground!
  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jun 12, 2018
    Since the bush is out in the open with exposure to wind and sun, I'm guessing fungi isn't the issue. She probably has a whitish fuzzy insect that moves incredibly slowly - enough so you think its sedentary. That would be scale. These are sucking critters and can really do some damage in large numbers. A horticultural oil (like BONIDE) should take care of the problem. If the infestation is really bad, it may take more than one application.
  • Dee Dee on Jun 13, 2018
    Thanks to all that answered
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Jun 24, 2018
    I can't tell from the pics what's with the little one. IF it has green fuzzy stuff on the bark, it's powdery mildew. I've sprayed my Japanese honeysuckle w/ Dr. Bronners peppermint soap, water, alcohol and white vinegar. I just guessed on amounts. Although it looked dead, 1 treatment and I now have some leaves returning!