I cannot find an offset screwdriver or small bit.

+9
Because these chairs are heavy visitors pull the chair by the top of the chair which is loosening the screws causing them to fall out of the chair. They are in really good shape otherwise so I really do not want to replace them. Any suggestions what I might used or another method to keep this piece of wood ( the top of the chair) in place.
q i cannot find an offset screwdriver or small bit
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Jun 11, 2018
    You can get small sets for travel, like to carry in a purse. They are short, and you can turn it with needle nose pliers.
  • Ken Ken on Jun 11, 2018
    There are lots of choices for these screwdrivers, but you need to look in hardware stores for them. Take a look on Amazon with the search "ratchet offset screwdriver set". For less than $20 you will have a new versatile tool that you may not use a lot but when you need it, you need it. I own one of these kits and it is a great tool to have when nothing else works.

As for the screws coming loose, insert a wooden matchstick coated with yellow wood glue into the hole in the wood before you put the screw back in. Tried and true method used by professionals to repair oversize screw holes in wood.
  • Anna Anna on Jun 11, 2018
    the space is only a little more than 1cm. so using a long screwdriver cannot be used.
  • Amanda Amanda on Jun 11, 2018
    Hello. You will need to look for a mini ratcheting screwdriver. These are made for the small space. You can also put thread locker on the screws so they don't come out so easy.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 11, 2018
    Dip the screws in Gorilla glue and screw them back in.. you can also use a SLIGHTLY fatter screw and one SLIGHTLY longer... along with the glue.
    • Shuganne Shuganne on Jun 22, 2018
      Excellent idea, Marty! Once the screw had been worked loose, a slightly wider and longer screw is an ideal solution. I've only ever tried it with wood glue and flat toothpicks, or sawdust. I'll bet the gorilla glue is a very permanent solution. I can't quite tell from the picture what kind of chair it is, but who wants to trust a floppy loose seat?
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 12, 2018
    Aso23857237 is right. The mini sets of screwdrivers are not only too long but the ends are too narrow and will not insert firmly enough to function.
    Ken is right that the tool you need here is a ratchet off-set screwdriver.
    • Anna Anna on Jun 12, 2018
      I tried this one too the head is too large to work in the space allocated. What about justplacing a metal straight pin in the chair with some gorilla glue. do you think it would eventually pull out? I guess I cn wait and see
  • Anna Anna on Jun 12, 2018
    thanks I will try it
  • Anna Anna on Jun 13, 2018
    i used a metal doll pin dipped in gorilla glue and inserted them in the chair where the screws were located on the chair.
  • William William on Jun 13, 2018
    Because of movement, stress, and use they will always come loose. Glue (any kind) may hold for a while but the seal will eventually break. What I would do is take some measurements and drill though the top of the wood to the metal bar. Countersink the hole in the wood. Use a nut and bolt to fasten the wood to the bar. The nut in that small space. Fill the countersunk hole with a dowel or wood putty. Good luck.
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 13, 2018
    You tried tightening it with a ratchet off-set screwdriver?
    Your picture does not show the bottom part of the horizontal wooden bar......I am wondering if it were possible to access this same screw hole from the bottom? You would need a much longer screw but it would be more likely that it would stay well anchored if it were screwed in tightly.