What can be done to a doorway barrier that separates 2 rooms?

  3 answers
  • Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Jun 11, 2018
    Do you want to open up the wall between the two rooms? If so you need to know if this is a bearing wall or not. If it is you will need assistance to place a support beam in place of the wall. This will usually leave what appears to be a beam on the ceiling where the wall used to be. You can cover it with wallboard and paint or make it look like a wooden beam according to your choice.
    • Mariellen Martin Mariellen Martin on Jun 11, 2018
      It used to be a half solid wall with on top an open shelving for like knick knacks. But, now my husband remove the upper portion and left the solid wall with no shelving . What can you make out of it?
      I would like storage on the bottom for books but how to you open it up?
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Jun 11, 2018
    If you're looking for a door, you could put in a barn door if you don't want a hinged door. If you're looking to remove a door, take the pins out of the hinge, remove the door, take the hinges and strike plate off, fill the holes with wood putty, sand and paint. If you want to make it bigger, check to see if it's a load bearing wall. If it is, get a professional to help you. If not, you'll need to put in a header with some jack studs to support it. Then put trim around the doorway.
  • Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Jun 12, 2018
    You can either remove the half wall, or remove the wallboard on one side and place shelves between the studs of the half wall. The shelves may be too narrow for hard cover books (4" deep) so you could remove the wallboard on both sides, build a second stud frame to match and then put in shelves.