Do i need an annual termite inspection?

+6
My house is about three years old and was treated to stop termites. I am just wondering if I need to get annual termite inspections. The last one I got cost me $115 and the inspection couldn't have lasted more than 10 minutes. Is this something I can do myself (you tube DIY?) how thorough should the inspection be?

• Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Jun 11, 2018
    If you were free of termites at the last inspection I would recheck in 5 years or whenever you see anything that suggests termites.
  • Betty Betty on Jun 11, 2018
    Live in WV .my first inspection last about a hour .check inside and outside of house .check garage inside and out .we had some wooden pallets we kept our garage cans on .that was a no no . Had to get rid of them . They would draw termite. .no mulch beside the house. .keep away from the house . That would draw termite . He checked in crawl space .no termites .we were treated he said would last ten years unless we spotted a problem . Hope this was helpful. .
  • Hayden Scharrer Hayden Scharrer on Jun 11, 2018
    After a termite inspection, you should not have to worry about it for 5 more years. If you are worried and want to check, find some wood you know there was termites in. Take a screwdriver or tiny object and ruin their "trail". Wait a few days, and if they have moved through this trail, you will see it.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 11, 2018
    HomeAdvisor.com or Angieslist.com will give a list of reference checked verified Termite Control companies....also... check the contract for the last termite treatment....it may say how long the treatment is estimated to last... and how soon to have a follow up inspection.... also check with your homeowners insurance... they may have a recommendation on how often to have a termite inspection... especially since treatment has been required in the past. Do a little research online, Better Business Bureau, Consumer groups... etc.... and get a list of the things and places that should be checked during a comprehensive termite inspection. And the next time you have an inspection... follow the guy around and LEARN what they are looking for, how to spot trouble and why...
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Jun 11, 2018
    It really depends where you live. We live on an island that's all sand and water. Termites are very prevalent here. We have ours checked every two to three years. We also lived in a very rural area that had a mostly sandy soil and had that checked every four to five years.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 11, 2018
    Most people have the inspection (required for a mortgage in many areas)then have them come out annually to check the "feeders" that are placed out. If there is activity - they put in poison. Damage from termites can be thousands of dollars. Home owners does NOT cover this type of damage. My neighbors sold their home but they found termite damage. They had to pay $20,000.00 for repairs (to replace a main beam in the floor of an addition) before the home sale would go thru.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 11, 2018
    The termite contact (should) protects you in the event that damage occurs to your home. The company is responsible.