Orchid leaves turning yellow repotted! Any ideas?

+3
Have a philanopsis orchid that has bloomed 2 times. One of the leaves has fallen off had to re pot, the roots were brown and smashed and no green on them took them off does have a aerial root that is nice and green. Now more leaves are getting yellow. Spraying with water since there aren't any roots to speak of. Keeping water out of the crown. In filtered light since the beginning and don't understand whats going on. New pot with holes. Water once on Sundays since the beginning. Had to lay it on its side not all the way to get the roots to go into the pot. Stem where it flowers is about 10 inches tall and green. any ideas?

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 11, 2018
    My daughter had one that was in the orchid soil and hers never seemed to dry out, I repotted it with the orchid bark, but it was too late and the leaves all turned yellow one by one and fell off. This happened after it flowered. Hers stayed too wet and got root rot, which they are susceptible to. That could be what is happening. Try just misting the leaves every couple of days and use a foliar fertilizer for orchids. If you use the soil and not the bark, let it dry out pretty well before you water the soil. They can actually survive pretty well on the humidity in the air and misting the leaves for a while. I hope this helps and your orchid comes back, just give it a chance for a while. If you need to replace it, keep an eye out for places that sell them, once they loose their flowers, many places sell them at a pretty good discount. I have purchased some at Walmart for about five dollars, Home depot sells them pretty cheap, too.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 11, 2018
    did you use orchid medium for re-potting?Do not over water and do not mist the leaves....
    • Sandy Sandy on Jun 12, 2018
      Been using bark per the orchid girl keeping them in the living room water them 1 time a week there are no roots left but one aerial root and will stop misting..thanks
  • Sandy Sandy on Jun 12, 2018
    Got this beautiful plant 1 year ago it bloomed twice replanted it right after I got in into another plastic pot with holes then it started to bloom and got a aerial root. When I watered it I didn't let the water sit in the pot I drained it out and put it in filtered light in the living room when I decided to re pot it and took it out of the pot that is when I noticed the roots were brown and flat but the aerial root was green, keeping the aerial root green and slightly watering the bark is what I am doing, which me luck I really like it..
  • Brenda Johnson Brenda Johnson on Nov 13, 2018

Make sure your container is not too big and do not walk over water and do not put into dirt use the Orchid bags they have them at Lowe's is especially for orchids I can't remember the name of it but it's not dirt good luck