Can A double wide mobile home have a kitchen makeover

+21
I live in a double wide mobile home as old as dirt and sorely need kitchen redo as it is falling apart, unfortunately it was made when mobile homes used the cheapest material to make the mobile home and I have to say it probably should be burnt, but being paid for I have slowly started to repair and repaint and repair floors and roofing but I was not sure I could fix the kitchen. Thank you for allowing me to pose this question

• Mar22469227 Mar22469227 on Jun 11, 2018
    If the cupboards are paintable, use some Minwax paint/stain colors and add new hardware. Beadboard looks great as a backsplash and inexpensive. I live in a manufactured home and they can be as attractive as a regular home.
    • Sara brunson Sara brunson on Jun 12, 2018
      Thanks for your encouragement but cupboards are to far gone so I have decided to do a gut job, lucky for me the floors are already done so onward and upward. Thanks again
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 11, 2018
    Of course you can. Start with the foundation. Build one under the mh (mobile home) so the floor will hold the heavier appliances you will eventually buy. Tear out the cabinets unless you can paint or seal them. Decide: do you like where the sink is? Are the fridge, stove, other appliances where you want them? In other words, design your kitchen, don’t just replace it. Have all the electric, gas, water, and drainage issues analyzed and changed or repaired the way you want. If the base cabinets need to be moved, move them out for refinishing. Put the new subfloor and tile, lineoleum, laminate or paint in and replace or return the appliances and cabinets in. If the ceiling needs replacing, consider, instead of cheap ceiling tiles, real roofing beams, a real subfloor, and even removing and replacing the ceiling and roof to provide real storage, or making a vaulted ceiling. Even if the kitchen is more substantial than the rest of the mh, you will have a kitchen that you have designed, built, and decorated yourself. Good friends and good websites are your friends. ☺️
      Thanks for your input as I think I will do a gut job and I have already did my floors sometime ago so that isn't the problem as much as old cabinet and a broken drawer in counter. I do feel encouraged by everyone's input and since I am retired I can do it one room at a time I am working on living room now. Thanks again
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 11, 2018
    Hi Sara,
    Yes you can fix your kitchen in your mobile home. Since you didn't specify which part you're unsure about, I looked for a general remodeled kitchen in a mobile home. Click on the link below for some ideas. Wishing you the best.
      Thank you for the link, I will be checking it out as I feel it will be a gut job, I have already repair the floors so that is not my problem, just cabinets and layout so if I gut it I can design it to my liking
  • Kc Kc on Jun 11, 2018
    I suspect trying to reglue, repair or rebuild the old cabinets would be a disappointing failure. They really should be torn out and replaced but it's doubtful that a new kitchen would add any value to such an old house.
    The only reason you should consider moving forward on this project is for your mental and physical comfort....what's more important than that? You're already making improvements to the rest of your home so I'm sure you agree.
    Depending on your age and how long you are planning on remaining in this home, you might want to think about "aging in place" components in your redesign.
    You can find entry level cabinets at your local hardware store, either prebuilt or flat pack. Lowe's and Home Depot will send a designer to your house, measure your kitchen and help design your new layout. (It may be included in the price of your cabinets.)
    Good luck and I hope you gather lots of happy memories as you move forward in this home.
  • Dana Cummings Dana Cummings on Jun 11, 2018
    Hi Sara...I was determined I was going to make my 1978 mobile home, an affordable and updated home I wanted to live in. I had ugly floors, old painted and glued cabinets, nothing was level...it is a lot of work but worthwhile to me and saved a few thousand dollars doing it myself.. This is my work and had to learn everything: drywall and muddling, insulation, kitchen design, laminate flooring, cabinet installation, etc.
    Be prepared (I am still doing improvements, older retired female and every corner you turn, you end up having to do 50 extra things in order to get to the one thing you were doing in the first place.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 11, 2018
    If you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your community - go there. You may be able to get slightly used kitchen cabinets very inexpensively.
  • Deb K Deb K on Jun 11, 2018
    Yes, and there are other places like reuse centers that also have great prices, or even items for free. Remember a clean coat of paint can also spruce a room up too! It's a start.
      Thanks of your input but my cabinets will need replacement but I intend to do a gut job and since I had redone the floors in kitchen I feel I wont have to do much there. Again Thanks for your input
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Jun 11, 2018
    If completely remodeled a 1983 camper so that I now have a nicer kitchen than most expensive homes (just smaller). If a camper can be done, then so can a mobile home. Here's my recommendation, get a vision. Forget what is already there and redesign according to what makes sense. Then realize that as you go, you must repair structural deficiencies (and there will be) so that your new kitchen won't deteriorate. I have granite counters, induction cooktop, stainless steel faucet and convection oven all in my camper! I get annoyed when I use other people's kitchens because I love mine so much. You can do this!
    Thank you all for your answers, I feel much encouraged and I plan to do a gut job on my kitchen, I know my home is old as dirt but since it is paid for and is the last home that I shared with my husband who has pass on, I feel that I do not want to move. So I am working on one room at a time. Again my Thanks to everyone!
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 14, 2018
    Sara Brunson, please keep us updated on Hometalk. You will continue to get advice and ideas. Most importantly, you will get encouragement all along the way. I would like to see what the kitchen looks like now, with the new floor, and I love seeing demos—the demolishing kind! Best, best wishes along your path. ☺️