How to keep birds from making a nest in hanging basket?

+1
  • Kc Kc on Jun 11, 2018
    You have to remove nesting material as soon as they start to build. Keep taking it away and basically make their life annoying enough that they will find another location. If the female is already on the nest incubating the eggs, please, please leave the couple alone until the babies fledge and fly away.
    You might become very protective if you start watching and tracking their progress. In my case, a pair of sparrows kept building a nest in the same potted plant every year. I became so concerned for the safety of the chicks I had to change the watering schedule so there would be no chance of them drowning.
  • Brenda Brandt Deason Brenda Brandt Deason on Jun 11, 2018
    I would be excited to have them! If they've already made a nest, it won't be long before there are eggs, and then chicks, then they'll fly away. At that point you can try moving the nest to a more acceptable location. For the future, you may want to wrap a light fabric around the baskets at this time of year.
  • Diane Brenner Diane Brenner on Jun 12, 2018
    The coolest way that I've seen to keep birds away from places where you don't want them to nest is to buy dollar store pinwheels, the ones on sticks, and place them in trees, planters and even gutters and the crooks of rain spouts. They even work under awnings.